I’ve been with Cox Media Group Ohio since April of 2010.
I worked as a news anchor, reporter and host for News 95.7 and AM 1290 WHIO before I made the switch to WHIO-TV and News Center 7 in April of 2011.
You can still listen to me on WHIO’s airwaves hosting Flyer Feedback during our postgame coverage of University of Dayton men’s basketball.
As a native Northeast Ohioan, I hail from one Ohio’s other valleys—The Cuyahoga Valley. I was born in Akron and grew up in nearby Cuyahoga Falls and Stow, Ohio.
Growing up, I wanted to play second base for the Cleveland Indians. But around fifth grade, I realized that wasn’t the most realistic career path for me. That’s when I fell in love with radio and TV. It’s all I’ve wanted to do since.
I graduated Cum Laude from The University of Dayton in 2010 with a Bachelor’s degree in communication with a concentration in electronic media. I also hold a minor in sales management.
I’m one of the most passionate Cleveland sports fans you’ll ever meet. I live and die with my Indians, Cavs and Browns. Growing up just two hours north of Columbus, I’m also a big Ohio State football fan. And of course, I love my Flyers!
I’m also an American history buff. It was always my favorite subject in school. Both my grandfathers were World War II veterans, which started my interest in that era.
Q & A
- Where were you born?
- Where did you grow up?
- Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio and Stow, Ohio.
- What was your favorite TV show then?
- Sesame Street and The Muppet Show.
- What was the first thing you ever wanted to be?
- How might have someone described you in high school?
- What was your first job?
- What was your first job in television?
- As a producer at UD's campus TV station.
- What do you like about your job?
- Writing. Also, I love meeting people the Miami Valley and sharing their stories with our viewers.
- What do you not like about your job?
- Snow stories. I grew up in the Snow Belt so I can handle the snow, but I’m not a fan of winter weather.
- What might people be surprised to know about you?
- I’m a great swimmer. I was an American Red Cross-certified lifeguard since in high school and college.
- What is the hardest thing you’ve ever had to do?
- Standing in the Humanities Plaza at UD after class one Friday in October my freshman year and listening to my mom tell me over the phone that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer.
- What would be the perfect day for you?
- I have four, in this order: Watching the Browns win the Super Bowl, the Indians win the World Series, the Cavs win the NBA Finals, and the Flyers win the NCAA Tournament.
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to go into the business?
- Network, network, network! I got my interview at News 95.7 WHIO because one of my professors at UD had a lead on the job and let me know about the opening.
- The Catcher in the Rye, Moneyball
- Favorite CBS Show:
- Favorite Dream Car:
- The getaway SWAT truck from Ocean's 11: it's got $160 million in it
- Favorite Food:
- My mom’s chicken Parmesan
- Favorite Hobby:
- Reading, swimming and running
- Favorite Miami Valley Place:
- Favorite Movie:
- Saving Private Ryan, Major League
- Favorite Music:
- Favorite Travel Destination:
Contact John Bedell