Last Updated February 26, 2024
This Privacy Statement describes how CMG Media Corporation d/b/a Cox Media Group, along with our affiliates, (collectively, “CMG”) collects personal information through websites, mobile and other online applications, and products and services operated by CMG Network (collectively, the “CMG Network Sites”) that link to this Privacy Statement, and the rights and choices available to individuals with respect to that information.
By using these CMG Network Sites, you consent to the use of information about you in accordance with this Privacy Statement, including our communications using the email address you provide through one or more of these CMG Network Sites. This Privacy Statement applies only to the CMG Network Sites that link to this Privacy Statement and does not apply to any other sites or CMG affiliates that maintain a separate privacy statement. Unless otherwise noted in communications you may receive from us, this Privacy Statement does not apply to information you may provide to us through offline methods, for example, at live event premises or via telephone.
Updates to This Privacy Statement
We may update this Privacy Statement to provide clarification or reflect changes to our practices. If we make changes, we will revise the “Last Updated” date at the top of this Privacy Statement. You are responsible for periodically visiting the CMG Network Sites and reviewing this Privacy Statement to check for any changes.
This Privacy Statement contains:
- Personal Information We Collect
- How We Collect Personal Information
- How We May Use the Personal Information We Collect
- Personal Information We Share
- Your Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Personal Information
- Access and Corrections
- Links and Other Third-Party Services
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Safeguarding Your Account
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Additional California Disclosures
- How to Contact Us
1. Personal Information We Collect
We collect the following categories of personal information:
- • Contact information, such as first name, last name, address, email address, or phone number;
- • Customer account/registration information, such as customer or account number, login credentials, gender, date of birth, information about and/or links to your profiles on social networks, and other information you upload to your account with us;
- • Commercial information, such as products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, audio recordings of customer calls, billing/payment information, and purchasing or consuming histories and/or tendencies;
- • Online usage information, such as internet and other electronic network activity information including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement;
- • Location information, such as city, state or geographic area, which we may collect when you authorize the CMG Network Sites to access your device’s location;
- • User contributions, such as information to be published or displayed on designated areas of the CMG Network Sites such as message boards, discussion or comment areas, or transmitted to other users of the CMG Network Sites or third parties;
- • Inferences, such as your purchase preferences, interests, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes; and
- • Automatically collected information, such as device type, device make/model, browser type, operating system, the resolution of your device monitor, your ISP or mobile carrier, your device identifiers, your IP address, date and time of your access to the CMG Network Sites, pages you visited (and, if you linked from or to another website, the address of that website), emails you open and links you follow within such emails, other communication data, and the resources you access and use on the CMG Network Sites.
2. How We Collect Personal Information
The information we collect about you falls into one of three categories: (1) personal information you provide to us, (2) personal information collected automatically when you navigate through the CMG Network Sites (such as through cookies), and (3) personal information provided to us by third parties such as advertisers, sponsors, social networks, and other business partners.
Personal Information You Provide to Us
We may collect personal information that you choose to provide on the CMG Network Sites in a variety of ways, such as when you:
- • register for one of our products or services;
- • create an account for access;
- • purchase products or services on the CMG Network Sites;
- • express your interests and/or preferences;
- • participate in chats, web forums, or other interactive sessions;
- • subscribe to our newsletters or provide feedback; and
- • participate in surveys, sweepstakes, or other promotions.
Personal Information Automatically CollectedAs you navigate through and interact with the CMG Network Sites, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain personal information about your equipment, browsing actions, and usage patterns, including:
- • information about your device and internet connection; and
- • information about your visits to the CMG Network Sites.
We use various technologies for automated collection of data such as cookies, local shared objects/flash cookies, and web beacons (generally referred to as “Data Technologies”). Data Technologies include all current and similar future technologies.
Local Shared Objects/Flash Cookies - Local shared objects, sometimes known as Flash cookies, may be used to store your preferences or display content based upon what you have viewed on various websites to personalize your visit. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see the Your Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information section below.
Web Beacons - A web beacon, also known as a single pixel GIF, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies, and allows us to obtain information on the number of users who visit those pages and other traffic-related statistics.
Personal Information Obtained Through Third Parties
We may partner with third-party service providers, such as ad networks, to serve advertising to you based on predictions generated over time from your visits across different websites, devices, and mobile applications (“online behavioral” or “interest-based” advertising).
Third-party service providers may utilize information collected through a variety of Data Technologies to provide customization, auditing, research and reporting for us, our affiliates, and other advertisers. This data collection takes place both on the CMG Network Sites and on third-party websites and mobile applications.
These third parties may use their Data Technologies to collect information about you when you use the CMG Network Sites. The information they collect may be associated with your personal information, or they may collect information, including personal information, about your online activities over time and across different websites and other online services. They may use this information to provide you interest-based advertising or other targeted content. We do not control these third parties tracking technologies or how they may be used.
Some companies disclose when they are using interest-based advertising programs on the CMG Network Sites to deliver third-party ads or collecting information about your visit for these purposes and give you the ability to opt-out of this use of your information. For more information, see the Your Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information section below.
When you use the social networking features on the CMG Network Sites, you may be asked to log in to a social network using your social network credentials such as your Facebook user ID. When you log in, we may collect information about you, including personal information, from that social network. In addition, when you use one of the social network sharing tools available on the CMG Network Sites, the social network operating the tool may collect information about you based on such use.
3. How We May Use the Personal Information We CollectWe may use personal information we collect for the following purposes:
- • to present the CMG Network Sites and deliver content, including advertising related to your interests, browsing and usage history, location information and other information we collected within the CMG Network Sites and from other websites and sources;
- • to fulfill purposes for which you provided the information, including management of your user account, provision of products and services you request, processing and collection of payments, and support;
- • to contact you regarding your purchase;
- • to offer our products or services and/or the products or services of others to you;
- • to provide you with notices about your account and/or subscriptions, including expiration and renewal notices;
- • to notify you about changes to the CMG Network Sites or any products or services we offer;
- • to communicate about, and administer your participation in, special events, programs, surveys, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions;
- • to enable you to interact with us and others through various means, such as through our message boards or discussion or comment areas;
- • to evaluate and improve our business, including developing new products and services and analyzing the effectiveness of products, services, applications and communications;
- • to diagnose and address technical and service problems;
- • to perform data analyses, including market and consumer research, trend analysis, demographic analysis, and financial analysis;
- • to comply with applicable legal requirements and our policies;
- • to contact you via telephone, text or chat. We will obtain your consent to contact you in the manner required by law; and
- • for any other purposes, with your consent.
We may combine information that you provide to us with information we receive from other sources, as well as with other information that is automatically collected. We may also create aggregated, de-identified and/or anonymized data from personal information we collect. We make personal information into de-identified or anonymized data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this aggregated, de-identified or otherwise anonymized data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve the CMG Network Sites and promote our business and will not attempt to reidentify any such data.
4. Personal Information We Share
We may share personal information about you that we collect or receive with the following third parties and as otherwise described in this Privacy Statement, in other applicable notices, or at the time of collection:
- • Affiliates. Our parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates.
- • Service providers. Third parties we use to support our business (such as hosting, information technology, customer support, email delivery, consumer research, and website analytics).
- • Business and marketing partners. Co-sponsor(s) of surveys, contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions, as identified in the applicable official rules, if you enter such promotions.
- • Business transferees. An acquirer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy or similar proceedings.
- • Advertising partners. Advertising partners and other third parties for the interest-based advertising purposes described in the Privacy Statement.
- • Third parties designated by you. We may share your personal information with third parties where you have instructed us or provided your consent to do so.
- • Professional advisors. Professional advisors, such as lawyers, auditors, bankers and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
- • Authorities and others. Law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties, as we believe in good faith to be necessary or appropriate to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of CMG, our customers, or others, including exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
5. Your Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Personal Information
We strive to provide you with choices about how we communicate with you. Mechanisms below will provide you with controls over your information.
Registration and SMS Alerts
You may choose not to provide personal information, even though that might impact your ability to register or receive a particular product or service. If you register with us, you also have the option of deleting all information except for your email address. If you would like to completely deactivate your account, please contact us at email@example.com. Please note, however, that if you deactivate your account, you will not receive any newsletters from us, and you will not be able to participate in any of our contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions. Also, even if you deactivate your account, you still need to go through a separate process to unsubscribe from SMS alerts you previously signed up to receive. You can unsubscribe from these alerts by using the “STOP” function within those messages. You agree that, subject to applicable law, we may use your information to contact you for customer service, to inform you of important changes to our products or services, and to send you administrative notices or any communications relevant to your use of the CMG Network Sites, including communications in the event of a data security event.
Newsletters and Other Email Communications
If you decide to unsubscribe from our email newsletters to which you had previously subscribed, or if you do not want to receive marketing emails from us, you can follow the unsubscribe link provided in those emails.
You have a number of choices regarding certain Data Technologies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser’s setting to refuse all or some browser cookies, or to alert you when cookies are being sent. You may also render some web beacons unusable by rejecting their associated cookies and disable or delete similar data used by browser add-ons by changing the add-ons settings or opting out at the website of the technology provider. For example, to manage your Flash cookie settings, you may visit the Flash player settings page on the Adobe website and follow their instructions.
If you disable certain Data Technologies or opt out from location services, however, certain features of the CMG Network Sites may not function properly or at all as a result.
Internet-based AdvertisementsYou can opt out of delivery of targeted advertising to you by multiple companies by visiting https://www.aboutads.info/choices or https://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp. Please note that even if you opt out, you will continue to receive advertisements, but they will not be tailored to your specific interests. To learn more about your choices when it comes to the use of online behavioral advertising data by advertisers and ad servers across the Internet, visit https://youradchoices.com/.
Do Not Track
Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Linked Third-Party Platforms
If you choose to connect to the CMG Network Sites through your social media account or other third-party platform, you may be able to use your settings in your account with that platform to limit the information we receive from it. If you revoke our ability to access information from a third-party platform, that choice will not apply to information that we have already received from that third party.
Declining to Provide Information
We need to collect personal information to provide certain services. If you do not provide the information we identify as required or mandatory, we may not be able to provide those services.
6. Access and Corrections
Access to information that we collect and maintain about you may be available to you. For example, if you registered for a password-protected account within the CMG Network Sites, you can access that account to update the information you previously provided.
If you delete your user contributions from the CMG Network Sites, copies of your user contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or might have been copied or stored by other users. Proper access and use of information provided on the CMG Network Sites, including user contributions, is governed by our Visitor Agreement.
7. Links and Other Third-Party Services
The CMG Network Sites may contain links to websites and other resources not operated by us. We are not responsible for the content or use of any websites or resources other than those on the CMG Network Sites. Providers of these websites and other resources may have their own privacy policies or notices, which we strongly suggest you review.
8. How We Protect Personal Information
We use administrative, technical, personnel, and physical security measures designed to safeguard information about you in our possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification. Despite these measures, we cannot guarantee the security of networks, servers and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf.
9. Safeguarding Your AccountThe safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you, or where you have chosen, a password for access to certain parts of the CMG Network Sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. You are responsible for the use of your account.
10. ChildrenCMG Network Sites is not directed to individuals under the age of 16 and we do not knowingly collect or solicit the personal information of children or minors. If you are under 16, do not provide any personal information to us. If we learn that we have collected personal information through the CMG Network Sites from an individual under 16 without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian where required by applicable law, we will comply with applicable legal requirements to delete the information.
11. Your California Privacy Rights
This section applies only to California residents. It describes how we collect, use, disclose and share personal information of California residents in operating our business, and their rights with respect to that personal information. For purposes of this section, “Personal Information” means personal information protected by the California Consumer Privacy Act (as amended) (“CCPA”) but does not include data exempted from the scope of the CCPA.
Your California privacy rights. As a California resident, you have the rights listed below. However, these rights are not absolute, and in certain cases, we may decline your request as permitted by law.
- • Information. You can request information about the categories of Personal Information that we have collected; the categories of sources from which we collected Personal Information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting, sharing and/or selling Personal Information; the categories of any Personal Information that we sold or disclosed for a business purpose; and the categories of any third parties with whom Personal Information was sold, shared or disclosed for a business purpose.
- • Access. You can request a copy of the Personal Information that we have collected about you.
- • Deletion. You can ask us to delete the Personal Information that we have collected from you.
- • Correction. You can ask us to correct inaccurate Personal Information that we have collected about you.
- • Opt-out. You can opt-out of the sharing of your Personal Information for cross-contextual behavioral advertising purposes and/or from the sale of your Personal Information for monetary or other valuable consideration.
- • Nondiscrimination. You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from discrimination. This means that we will not penalize you for exercising your rights by taking actions such as denying you services; increasing the price/rate of services; decreasing service quality; or suggesting that we may penalize you as described above for exercising your rights.
How to Exercise Your Rights
- • Right to information, access, correction, and deletion. You can request to exercise these rights by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- • Right to opt-out of the “sale” or “sharing” of your Personal Information. You can request to opt-out of the “sale” or “sharing” of your Personal Information by clicking the Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information link in the footer of this webpage. Your request to opt-out will apply only to the browser and the device from which you submit the request.
Identity verification. We need to verify your identity to process your requests to exercise your rights to know, access, deletion, and correction, and we reserve the right to confirm your California residency. To verify your identity, we may require you to log into your account if you have one, provide identifiers we can match against information we may have collected from you previously, confirm your request using the email address used to make the request, provide government identification, or provide a declaration under penalty of perjury, where permitted by law.
Authorized agents. Your authorized agent may make a request on your behalf upon our verification of the agent’s identity and our receipt of a copy of a valid power of attorney given to your authorized agent pursuant to applicable state law. If you have not provided your agent with such a power of attorney, we may ask you and/or your agent to take additional steps permitted by law to verify that your request is authorized, such as information required to verify your identity and that you have given the authorized agent permission to submit the request.
Information practices. The following describes our practices currently and during the past 12 months:
- • Sale and sharing of Personal Information. Our use of the targeted advertising services described in this Privacy Statement may constitute “sharing” of your Personal Information with our advertising partners from which you have the right to opt-out under the CCPA. You can request to opt-out of this “sharing” as detailed above. The categories of Personal Information shared include Identifiers, Commercial Information, and Internet or Network Information as described in the CCPA. We do not otherwise “share” or “sell” Personal Information as defined by the CCPA. Although the CMG Network Sites are not intended for children under 16 years of age, we are required to inform you that we do not have actual knowledge that we have sold or shared the Personal Information of children under 16.
- • Sensitive personal information. We do not use or disclose sensitive personal information (as that term is defined under CCPA) for purposes that California residents have a right to limit under the CCPA.
- • Deidentified data. We do not to attempt to reidentify deidentified information that we derive from Personal Information except that we may do so to test whether our deidentification processes comply with applicable law.
- • Retention. Our criteria for deciding how long to retain Personal Information is generally based on whether such period is sufficient to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it as described in this Privacy Statement, including complying with our legal obligations.
- • Sources and purposes. We collect all categories of Personal Information from the sources, use them for the business purposes described in the How We Collect Personal Information and How We May Use the Personal Information We Collect sections above, and disclose them for the business and commercial purposes described in the Personal Information We Share section above.
- • Collection and disclosure. The chart below describes the Personal Information we collect by reference to the categories of personal information specified in the CCPA (Cal. Civ. Code §1798.140), and the categories of third parties to whom we disclose Personal Information for business purposes. The terms in the chart refer to the categories of information and third parties described above in this Privacy Statement in more detail. Information you voluntarily provide to us, such as in free-form webforms, may contain other categories of Personal Information not described below. We may also disclose Personal Information to professional advisors, authorities and others, and business transferees as described above in the Personal Information We Share section above.
Statutory categoryPersonal Information we collect Categories of third parties to who we discolse the Personal Information for a business purpose
Califronia Customer Records (as defined in California Civil Code §1798.80)
Internet or Network Information
Sensitive Personal Information
• The username/password or other credentials you use to access the CMG Network Sites.
May be derived from any of the above categories
12. Additional California Disclosures
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 entitles California users to request information concerning whether a business has disclosed certain information about you to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. California users who wish to request further information in compliance with this law or have questions or concerns about our privacy practices and policies may contact us as specified in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
13. How to Contact UsIf you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, or if you would like us to exercise your privacy rights, update information we have about you or your preferences, please contact us by email at email@example.com.