President Donald Trump’s former attorney, Michael Cohen, has been taken back into federal custody to serve out the rest of his sentence for campaign finance violations and other crimes, according to multiple reports.
Cohen's sentence was furloughed in May due to the threat posed by the novel coronavirus in prisons. He was transferred to home confinement May 21 and taken back into custody Thursday.
Last week, the New York Post published photos that appeared to show Cohen, 53, dining at a restaurant on Manhattan’s East Side, an apparent violation of the conditions of his release. However, an unidentified source told The New York Times that Cohen was taken back into custody because he “refused to sign papers agreeing to certain conditions related to media appearances and writing books.”
"It's my hope that it's a misunderstanding of some kind that can be promptly resolved," he said.
In 2018, Cohen admitted to lying to Congress during an investigation into Russian election meddling headed by then-special counsel Robert Mueller. He later also pleaded guilty to eight other charges, including multiple counts of tax evasion and arranging illicit payments to silence women who posed a threat to Trump’s presidential campaign.
© 2020 Cox Media Group