Vectren’s observing the third annual Utility Scam Awareness Day on Nov. 14, which is supported by Utilities United Against Scams (UUAS) during a week-long campaign from Nov. 11 to 17, according to a release.
Vectren wants to remind customers of how scammers steal money and to educate those customers on how they can protect themselves from those scams:
- Customers who suspect they have been scammed should contact their utility company or local law enforcement
- Never purchase a prepaid debit or gift card to avoid service disconnection or shutoff
- If someone contacts you asking you to pay your bill to avoid disconnection, ask them to verify they are a legitimate company representative by calling a verified number from the company's website/your monthly bill
- Visit the Federal Trade Commission's website to learn about how to protect personal information and different types of scams
- Use Vectren.com's live chat option or call 1-800-227-1376 for Vectren's contact center
- For more information, visit www.utilitiesunited.org