Local health officials warn of ‘highly toxic’ mushrooms growing in the area

Local health officials are warning people not to eat wild mushrooms growing in the area.

The Warren County Health District said in a social media post Friday morning that there are multiple patients who have reported eating mushrooms foraged from a public area in the southwest Ohio region whose symptoms and medical evaluation are consistent with having eaten “highly toxic” mushrooms.

>> Supply chain problems now bedeviling Kia, Hyundai owners victimized by TikTok challenge

The variety is believed to be Amanita bisporigera, or Death Angel, the health district said.

A spokesperson for Cincinnati Children’s Hospital took to social media to announce that there have been cases of people eating mushrooms that appear to be toxic.

Anyone who has eaten a wild mushroom and has any symptoms such as severe abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea should immediately contact the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

Comments on this article