As high winds sweep through the area Monday morning thousands are without power.
Always assume downed power lines are live. Downed lines can be deadly, and avoid approaching them.
- Downed power lines can energize the ground up to 30 feet away and even more in wet conditions
- Never drive over downed power lines or water that is in contact with them
- Never try to move a downed power line
If a vehicle is in contact with a downed power line or utility pole
- Stay in place or inside your vehicle unless you see fire or smoke
- Warn others to stay at least 35 feet away
- Call 911
In the event of fire or smoke
- Do not touch the ground and vehicle at the same time
- Jump from the vehicle with your feet together
- Shuffle away, avoiding lifting your feet