If you come across a downed power line, this you need to know, according to the Electrical Safety Foundation International.
Always assume downed power lines are live. Downed lines can be deadly, and avoid approaching them.
- Downed power lines can energize the ground up to 30 feet away and even more in wet conditions
- Never drive over downed power lines or water that is in contact with them
- Never try to move a downed power line
If a vehicle is in contact with a downed power line or utility pole
- Stay in place or inside your vehicle unless you see fire or smoke
- Warn others to stay at least 35 feet away
- Call 911
In the event of fire or smoke
- Do not touch the ground and vehicle at the same time
- Jump from the vehicle with your feet together
- Shuffle away, avoiding lifting your feet
According to AES Ohio, report a downed line online or by caling 877-4OUTAGE.