Dad pleads not guilty to charges in Clark County chase, crash on state Route 4

UPDATE @ 8:25 p.m. (Feb. 3): Kenneth Moreland, accused of triggering a chase on state Route 4 in Clark County with his two young children in the car that ended in a crash, was arraigned Monday.

>> No serious injuries in Southern Ohio school bus crash

The 29-year-old Columbus area resident had pleas of not guilty entered for him on nearly 10 traffic offenses plus OVI, child endangering as well as fleeing and eluding. Bond in Clark County Municipal Court was set at $7,000.

According to the state patrol, troopers stopped Moreland on I-70 near, state Route 4, early Saturday because of erratic driving. He sped away, clipped a pickup truck, lost control and continued off the left side of the road.

There, he hit a concrete barrier, traveled back across and the highway and hit a guardrail before coming to a stop in the median.

Moreland tried to run away, leaving behind his 3-year-old and 6-year-old children, but troopers quickly caught him.

The children were in the front seat -- not buckled in, troopers said. They suffered minor injuries, according to the patrol.

Moreland was taken to Soin Medical Center for minor injuries. The state patrol said their evidence includes a whiskey bottle found in the car, plus Moreland’s statements that he picked up his children from his father’s house after attending a bachelor’s party where he smoked at least part of “a blunt.”

Monday night, he was still listed as a Clark County Jail inmate.


A 29-year-old man is in jail following a high-speed chase that ended on state Route 4 in Bethel Twp. Saturday.

Kenneth Moreland, 29, was booked into the Clark County Jail on suspicion of fleeing and eluding, endangering children, OVI and several traffic related charges, according to jail records.

Troopers said they noticed a car speeding on I-70 around 6:15 a.m. and tried to pull the car over.

Moreland drove off from officers and drove onto state Route 4, where troopers said he crashing into another vehicle.

According to initial reports, Moreland had been traveling at a very high speed before crashing.

He was taken to Soin Medical Center and the two children were taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital for their injuries, according to the patrol.

Comments on this article