Candle sparks fire that displaces family on Santa Clara Avenue

A family was displaced after an early morning fire Tuesday that started on the second floor of a house in the first block of Santa Clara Avenue.

on the second floor of a house in the first block of Santa Clara Avenue, according to Dayton Fire Department Lt. Jesse Wilson.

Wilson said Crews were called around 12:30 a.m. to the house that had flames coming out of an upstairs side window, Dayton fire Lt. Jesse Wilson said.

A family of four and their pets were able to escape unharmed, he said.

The homeowner told News Center 7's Kayla Courvell her son lit a candle and then fell asleep.

Chris Robinson, husband and father, said he tried to use water to put the fire out himself, but it was already out of control, so he grabbed his son and got the rest of the family out.

>>Nonprofit Just a Little Lunch to feed thousands of local families

Firefighters entered the house and were able to quickly put out most of the flames, which were largely on the second floor. After that, they spent time searching for and putting out hot spots.

>>Properties removed, added to Greene County flood map

The fire is still being investigated, but Wilson said that it began in a back bedroom on the second floor.

It’s unknown on how much damage was caused.

Comments on this article