MIAMI VALLEY — AAA is urging vehicle owners to protect themselves against car thefts.
Across the country, 2020 saw the most vehicle thefts in more than a decade, and the trend continued in 2021, they said in a release.
Top five vehicles stolen in Ohio according to the NICB:
- Ford Pick-Up
- Chevrolet Pick-Up
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- Chevrolet Malibu
The average claim for stolen vehicles in Ohio was between $8,000 to $10,000 — only comprehensive insurance policies, which are optional, cover stolen cars, said Dan Scroggins, managing director, AAA Insurance.
AAA shared the following tips to help protect your car against theft:
- Never leave your vehicle running with the keys in it.
- Never leave your keys in the vehicle – the convenient ‘keyless’ feature is not only convenient for the car owner, but it is also convenient for the thief who can steal your car with the touch of a button.
- Lock your car – even without the keys, thieves are more likely to steal a car left unlocked
- Park your vehicle in a garage or a well-lit area – at home, at the mall or on the road, always try to park in an area where suspicious activity would be noticeable.
- Keep valuables out of sight.
©2021 Cox Media Group