3 hospitalized after chemical spill creates toxic chlorine gas at Meijer Distribution Center

TIPP CITY — A chemical spill at the Meijer Distribution Center injured three people and sent them to the hospital Thursday night.

>> TRENDING: 3 vehicles crash, shut down I-75 in Harrison Twp.

Tipp City Fire and Miami Hazmat were dispatched to the 4200 block of South County Road 25A, occupied by the Meijer Distribution Center, at 9:45 p.m. on reports of a chemical spill that injured several people, Miami Dispatch confirmed.

When firefighters and medics arrived, they found three people injured following a chemical spill near the distribution center’s newest building, Cameron Haller, Tipp City Fire Chief of Emergency Services, told News Center 7.

Firefighters helped to evacuate all personnel within 50-feet, then determined the hazardous nature of the spill, Haller informed.

The investigation showed that a toilet bowl cleaner leaked or broke earlier in the day, causing an initial spill. Then, later in the day, a bleach container broke and mixed with the cleaner, creating a highly toxic chlorine gas that injured three people, Haller continued.

Three people suffered minor injuries from inhalation of the toxic gas, while one of the three people sustained chemical burns from the spill, Haller stated. All three were transported to Kettering Health Troy for further treatment.

Haller reassured the three contractors working for Meijer were in stable condition and would make a full recovery.

To clean the spill, a hazmat team was called to the premises. They geared up in full protective attire and began the cleanup process at 1:05 a.m., Haller said.

The hazmat team contained the hazardous chemical at around 2:10 a.m., about an hour after the cleanup process began, a spokesperson for the Tipp City Fire and Emergency Services said.

Firefighters and the hazmat team were able to successfully manage the incident.

Comments on this article