Woman sentenced in infant dog mauling case

A woman was sentenced today after her dog fatally mauled her 7-month-old stepgrandson in 2014.

  • Kimiko Hardy, 38, found guilty of six felony counts

  • Hardy sentenced to three years in prison.

  • Johnathan Quarles Jr., 7 months, died after dog attack
  • Dog had previously attacked postal carrier

UPDATE @ 11:34 a.m.:

Kimiko Hardy broke down in tears as she was sentenced to three years in prison this morning.

Hardy’s lawyers asked for the shortest sentence possible and said Hardy is heartbroken and remorseful over what happened.

The mother of the victim spoke in court, telling Hardy that an apology will not bring back 7-month-old Johnathan Quarles Jr. The mother also said that all family relationships have been impacted by the mauling.


Kimiko Hardy, 38, who was found guilty of six charges after her dog fatally mauled her 7-month-old stepgrandson, Johnathan Quarles Jr., is scheduled to be sentenced today.

Prosecutors said during opening statements of her trial that Busa, an American Staffordshire terrier also referred to as a pit bull, crushed the baby’s skull and removed part of his scalp in Hardy’s residence at 2219 Riverside Drive in Dayton.

“Sadly, this defendant had warning that this dog was aggressive, which is why we are here today,” Montgomery County assistant prosecutor Karen Groseth told jurors. “This dog’s actions on July 20, 2104 were foreseeable.”

Groseth recounted how the animal had lunged at a postal carrier, who testified that he was able to get his mailbag in between himself and the dog and that he fell as he ran away. Prosecutors also said the dog bit a Beagle who was on a walk with its owner, requiring that dog to get staples for its injuries.

Finally, Groseth said how Hardy was required to attend a 150-minute training class put on by the Animal Resource Center for first-time offenders. ARC officials testified that the course covered neutering, reasons to relinquish a dog, bite prevention, proper training, responsibilities of pet owners, how to confine a dog and laws about failure to control a dog. Hardy also was cited for not having a license for the dog.

“The evidence will show that this was preventable,” Groseth said. “The evidence will show that this defendant had means to control this dog and yet chose not to.”

Defense attorney Angelina Jackson told jurors that Busa had never bit a person in nearly five years of being a family pet who slept in bed with children.

“This case involves a tragedy, but the occurrence of a tragedy does not mean that a crime has been committed,” Jackson said. “An unforeseeable tragedy is the reason we are all here today.”

Jackson described how things were fine the night before the attack before Hardy heard Busa get past a baby gate and into the room where Johnathan was in his car seat on the floor.

“She picked Johnathan up out of his car seat when, all of a sudden, Busa began to jump and bite at the two off them,” said Jackson, who said Hardy tried to punch the dog and grab him by the collar before the dog bit the infant’s head and ripped Hardy’s robe. “She tried everything in her power to stop Busa, but sadly she was unable to do so.”

After the boy’s death, Hardy’s dog was seized by ARC and euthanized in September 2014.