Crime And Law

Child calls 911, which leads to SWAT standoff on his father’s 34th birthday

HARRISON TWP. — A Dayton man is in custody following a standoff with police in the 4700 block of Hamlin Drive that started on his 34th birthday Thursday night in Harrison Twp.

Kevin Michael Piatt, 34, was arrested for domestic violence, with more charges being discussed with prosecutors.

Maj. Matt Haines of the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office said dispatchers received a 911 call from Hamlin Drive from an elementary-school-aged child, who reported that his father was attacking his mother.

>> 1 killed, 1 flown after serious crash in German Twp. near Butler County line

Haines said that the woman got on the phone but told officers they didn’t need to send anyone but crews went anyway to check on her. She was treated by medics at the scene for “pretty severe injuries,” Haines said, although she did not want to go to the hospital.

When deputies were in the area, Haines said they heard shots being fired, and that a man exited the house and went back inside, ignoring orders from deputies. Deputies don’t know whether the shots were being fired at them or as part of the domestic situation.

Deputies were able to have some conversation with the man over the phone to try to get him to come out, but eventually he stopped answering calls.

Deputies called in a Montgomery County Regional SWAT response, and continued trying to contact the man over the phone and using a loudspeaker, but received no response.

Finally, deputies received a signed search warrant and fired “chemical munitions,” which may mean tear gas or pepper balls, after which Piatt gave himself up with no shots fired.

>>Plane crashes into BMW: 'Out of the corner of my eye I saw a plane coming at me'

The people in the neighborhood around the standoff were largely able to stay safely in their homes, although a few were evacuated, Haines said.

Haines also praised the child who called police, saying “We’re glad that the child had the courage to pick up the phone and call 911.”

Detectives are currently investigating.

Comments on this article