Police: Ohio teen who killed himself at school planned 8-step school shooting

Published: Thursday, March 01, 2018 @ 6:07 PM
Updated: Thursday, March 01, 2018 @ 6:40 PM

Ohio teen who killed himself at school planned 8-step school shooting

A 13-year-old boy who shot and killed himself in school last month intended to carry out an eight-step school shooting.

The teen shot himself in the head just before 8 a.m. Feb. 20 with a semiautomatic rifle at Jackson Middle School in northern Ohio. The teen’s name is not being released by this news outlet.

Jackson Twp. Police Chief Mark Brink said the student did not use social media often, but they found notes on his phone that showed his “intentions to harm others” through detailed plans in the memo section of his phone.

Parents outside Jackson Middle School in Summit County, Ohio, on Feb. 20 after a 13-year-old seventh-grader fatally shot himself inside a bathroom. Police on March 1 revealed the teen had detailed plans on his phone to carry out a school shooting and had 80 rounds of ammunition along with the semiautomatic gun at school.

Authorities said the student had 80 rounds of ammunition on him but do not know why he changed his mind and shot himself.

Read full press release

According to a news release, the investigation revealed the teen admired the Columbine shooters and had an eight-step plan of attack at Jackson Middle School in entries from Feb. 14 through Feb. 20. He fantasized leaving “a lasting impression on the world.”

Feb. 18: “I’m going to die doing it, I hate those people, when they interview my parents and ask how they didn’t see the signs they should know it’s not them it’s me and it’s because of how I see the world...I’d hurt and destroy something bigger but my schools an easy target...”

Feb. 19: “This will be bigger than anything this country’s ever seen, ... I’ve been planning this for a few weeks and thought about it a few months, I will never be forgotten I’ll be a stain in American history ... it’s going to be so much fun. They won’t expect a thing.

According to the release, a student leaving the bathroom noticed the 13-year-old had a weapon and the student alerted faculty.

After the shooting, the boy was taken to Children’s Hospital Medical Center of Akron, where he died of his injuries the next day, CBS affiliate WOIO-TV in Cleveland reported.

Jackson Twp. police said the boy concealed the gun underneath his clothes, took it on the bus and carried it unnoticed onto campus. The gun came from his mother’s house, but it was not clear who owned the weapon.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Statewide alert issued for missing endangered Cincinnati man canceled

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 8:21 PM
Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 2:14 AM

Cecil Harry
Cecil Harry

UPDATE June 23 @ 2:14 a.m.:

The Cincinnati Police Department has canceled the endangered missing adult alert for 67-year-old Cecil Harry.

>> Endangered missing adult alert issued statewide for northern Ohio man, 83

FIRST REPORT June 22 @ 8:21 p.m.:

A 67-year-old Cincinnati man is the subject of an endangered missing adult alert.

Cecil Harry left his residence around 7:30 a.m. and failed to return. He is in need of medication and law enforcement is concerned for his safety, according to the alert.

Harry stands 6 feet, weighs 210 pounds and has gray hair and blue eyes. 

He drives a red 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser with Ohio plates EF74BA.

Anyone who knows Harry’s whereabouts or who spots him is urged to call 911 or 1-866-693-9171.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Gunman demands drugs from Rite Aid in Harrison Twp.

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 7:17 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 11:40 PM

Robbery

An armed suspect demanded drugs and threatened employees Friday night during a robbery at a Rite Aid pharmacy.

The robbery was reported around 7 p.m. at the business, 4328 N. Main St. in Harrison Twp.

>> ‘He showed us a gun:’ Robbery victims testify in teen’s carjacking case

“Somebody walked in with a note and asked for prescription drugs and said that he was going to kills us in that note if we didn’t give him what we have,” according to a 911 caller who identified himself as a pharmacy manager.

The suspect was described as a young man who stands 5 feet 7 or five feet 8 inches who was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black pants.

Montgomery County Sheriff's deputies, including a K-9, responded to a robbery June 22, 2018, at the Rite Aid pharmacy at 4328 N. Main St. in Harrison Twp.(JIM NOELKER / STAFF)

Montgomery County Sheriff’s deputies, including a K-9 unit, were dispatched to the robbery. However, deputies on scene did not comment on the investigation.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Retired Troy firefighter accused of rape posts $200K bond, is released from jail

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 7:08 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:45 PM

Retired Troy firefighter arrested for rape, son arrested hours later

UPDATE @ 10:45 p.m. (June 22): A retired Troy firefighter accused of rape posted bond and was released from the Miami County Jail.

Jeffrey Paul Covault’s bond was $200,000 cash for the single rape count, which was set during his arraignment this morning.

Covault’s co-defendant Thomas Perkins Jr., 54 — also charged with rape — and his son, 24-year-old Aaron Jacob Covault, charged on an unrelated weapons violation, remain in jail.

UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m. (June 22): A retired Troy firefighter and a co-defendant remain in jail on a rape charge, while the son of the former firefighter also remains in jail on a weapons charge. 

Jeffrey Paul Covault, 48, had his bond set at $200,000 cash on a single count of rape. His plea of not guilty was taken this morning. 

>> TRENDING: Kettering officer-involved shooting: Man shot by officer, gun recovered

Thomas Perkins Jr., 54, identified as a co-defendant in the rape case, had his bond set at $200,000 as well. According to authorities, Perkins worked for Covault’s lawn care business. 

Aaron Jacob Covault, 24, had his bond set at $22,000 cash during his court appearance via video in Miami County Municipal Court. 

He is detained in the Miami County Jail on charges of weapon possession as a felon (a felony) and weapons possession while intoxicated (a misdemeanor).

Aaron Jacob Covault, left, and Jeffrey Paul Covault

The elder Covault and Perkins are accused of engaging in sexual conduct with an intoxicated 21-year-old woman on March 2, in the parking lot of The Vault, on North County Road 25A, county Prosecutor Tony Kendell said. According to the indictment, the victim was impaired because of a mental or physical condition and the alleged perpetrators had cause of know of that impairment.

Thomas Perkins Jr.(MIAMI COUNTY JAIL)

Common Pleas Judge Christopher Gee issued a “no contact order” for the elder Covault and Perkins, meaning they are to have no contact with the alleged victim or with each other.

The elder Covault worked as a Troy firefighter/paramedic from May 1996 until he retired April 1, according to city personnel records.

A criminal records check shows he has been convicted for operating a vehicle under the influence in 2011 and for disorderly conduct in 2012.

>> Suspect in Seattle homicide arrested in raid in Dayton

The father and son were arrested hours apart Thursday from the same home, a residence in the 700 block of County Road 25A, north of Troy.

Aaron Jacob Covault, was arrested at the same address hours after his father was taken into custody. Police said the younger Covault was upset over the arrest of his father and discharged a gun.

There were no reports of injuries.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

OVI checkpoint underway in East Dayton, Oregon District

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:13 AM

OVI checkpoint on Keowee Street

A sobriety checkpoint will be set up tonight between 8 p.m. and 1 a.m. at two locations in Dayton.

The first will be around East Third and Terry streets, near Taqueria Mixteca restaurant. After that, the checkpoint will move to South Keowee Street near East Fifth Street in the Oregon District.

The checkpoint will be operated by the Dayton Police Department, along with members of the Combined Agency OVI Task Force of Montgomery County.

MORE: Big check means big things for Dayton Gem City Market

Ohio law requires police agencies to publicly announce the times and locations of checkpoints ahead of time.

The OVI Task Force seeks to reduce the number of crashes involving drunken and intoxicated drivers.

“Driving while impaired is illegal and endangers the lives of everyone on the roadway,” police said.

In 2017, there were 594 crashes involving alcohol in Montgomery County.

Twelve people died in those crashes and 234 were injured. In 348 crashes, property was damaged crashes.

Trending - Most Read Stories