SPRINGFIELD — Elective surgeries at another major regional hospital have been postponed amid the ongoing COVID-19 spike in the region.
As of Friday, elective or non-essential surgeries that require an overnight stay at Springfield Regional Medical Center have been cancelled, according to a Mercy Health spokesperson.
“This decision was made to safeguard the health of our patient, associates and the communities we serve,” the spokesperson said in an emailed statement.
The policy is only for Mercy Health’s hospital in Springfield and is not in effect for the network’s hospital in Urbana, the spokesperson said.
Mercy Health is the latest in the region to postpone elective procedures joining Reid Health, Kettering Health, and Premier Health which have announced policy changes over the last month.
Reid Health was the first to announce a policy shift, postponing elective procedures in early December. Last week, both Kettering Health and Premier Health made similar announcements.
As of Monday, the Ohio Hospital Association reports over 6,700 people, one in three patients, area actively hospitalized across the state with COVID-19.
Additional details were not released.
©2022 Cox Media Group