Lindenwood home demolished after fire

Published: Monday, February 08, 2016 @ 7:59 AM
Updated: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 @ 11:12 AM

UPDATE @ 11:11 a.m. (Feb. 9)

This house on Lindenwood Road has been demolished.

The fire is still considered under investigation, but crews didn’t find anything suspicious and they did not find any evidence of drug use.

Content Continues Below

They said the propane tank was a small camper-style one, and it’s not uncommon to keep those in front porches like this family did.

UPDATE @ 3:45 p.m. (Feb. 8)

Mike Lane, an uncle who lived inside the home, said he woke up after he smelled smoke. He said he couldn’t find a fire extinguisher at the time.

“If I could have found the extinguishers, I could have probably gotten it out because it was that small in that point in time,” Lane said.

But instead he woke up all the other people inside the home and got them outside.

“The fire was in the kitchen, which is the back, the far back spot and I came out the door right there where the fire was,” Lane said.

The home will be a total loss. He said the family was able to get a “closet full of stuff” out.

Eli Lane, 9-years-old, said after his uncle woke them up, they climbed out of a window and ran to the van.

“The flames were all over here when we got out,” Eli Lane said.

UPDATE @ 9:30 a.m. (Feb. 8)

A family of two adults, three children and their pet dog have been displaced after a fire destroyed their home.

The family was sitting in their van that was parked on the street in front of the house when crews arrived.

A fire official said they did not have any coats on, but all got out of the house OK.

While crews responded at the scene a propane tank exploded inside the house.

The Red Cross has been called to assist the family.

Fire officials are investigating the resident’s claim that the fire started in the kitchen. The microwave caught fire and the resident called 9-1-1 after trying unsuccessfully to put it out.

EARLIER

Crews are responding to a house fire in Dayton.

Fire crews reported flames upon arrival. The fire was reported around 7:55 a.m. in the 400 block of Lindenwood Road.

This story will be updated as additional information becomes available.