CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Clark Preparatory Academy,

Student arrest for making threats at Springfield H.S. charged with a felony

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 8:12 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 9:20 AM

Extra police presence at Springfield High School this morning

UPDATE @ 10:30 p.m: After a Springfield High School student was arrested on Thursday due to viral threats posted on Facebook about a school shooting, Superintendent Dr. Robert Hill released a statement about student safety.

RELATED: Springfield-Clark Career Technology Center investigates threat 

“As I have stated many times and as I will continue to reiterate, student and staff safety is of the utmost importance in our district. Threats, whether written, posted on-line, or verbalized to others, will be thoroughly and immediately investigated. Anyone involved in making threats will face serious disciplinary action and additional consequences to the maximum extent of the law”, said Hill.

Hill also said school will remain in session, but urges students to be diligent in reporting anything that “feels out of place”.

UPDATE @ 3:55 p.m. (Feb. 22):

A Springfield High School student was arrested Thursday after police said she posted a Facebook threat about a school shooting that went viral, causing districts across Clark County and the country to take precautions. 

Authorities declined to name the 16-year-old, a junior, but Clark County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Travis Russell said she was charged with felony inducing panic in juvenile court. 

Police Chief Lee Graf both declined to comment on the motives behind the post. The Facebook post was taken down soon after it was posted, Graf said, but it had already gone viral.

Teachers with guns? Some Ohio districts arm staff, but don’t tell parents or kid

This news outlet was sent the post many times by concerned parents and community members. 

The student was arrested at 10 a.m. Thursday at Springfield High School, Russell said. 

Local authorities taking school threats seriously

The sheriff’s office and Springfield Police Division executed a search warrant at a home on Tibbetts Avenue around the same time, he said, and seized electronics that the student might have used to make the post. 

Anyone who threatens the safety of children in Springfield will face consequences, Graf said.

UPDATE@ 2:05 p.m. (Feb. 22)

The girl arrested for allegedly making threats at Springfield High School is 16 years old, Clark County Sheriff Chief Deputy Travis Russell said during a press conference Thursday afternoon. She is being charged with inducing panic, a  second degree felony, and could face several years in prison if convicted. 

When police got word of the threat they executed a search warrant and searched the school before classes started, officials said. 

“You can’t be dismissive when you get these types of threats,” Russel said.

UPDATE @ 11:45 a.m. (Feb 22) 

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office made an arrest Thursday in correlation to the ‘S.H.S.’ school threat circulating on social media. 

The FBI and Clark County Deputies were able to obtain information on the location of where the social media post was made. The Springfield Police Department and Clark County Sheriff’s Office then executed a search warrant, seizing a number of electronic devices. Subsequently, the both divisions were able to obtain further information, which resulted in a juvenile being taken into custody. The juvenile in custody is a 17-year-old female student at Springfield High School, according to police.

The teen is facing felony inducing panic charges, authorities.

Authorities report the threat is now considered neutralized, but this case will continue to be investigated by multiple agencies.  

MORE: Teachers with guns? Some Ohio districts arm staff, but don’t tell parents or kids

EARLIER REPORT 

Local law enforcement and school officials are aware and investigating reports on social media of possible threats against a school.

The vague social media post referenced a “SHS” school, which could include any one of many schools in the area that start with the letter “S.”

  • Springfield, Stebbins, Springboro, and others have investigated “SHS” threat
  • Threat deemed not credible by police
  • Police believe post originated in Springfield
  • Extra patrols reported at many schools

MORE: Hundreds of local students walk out, more walkouts planned

RELATED: Vague threats prompt lockdown of Fairborn High School

WALKOUTS: Can students get in trouble for #NeverAgain walkouts?

UPDATE @ 10:14 a.m.:

Springfield Police Chief Lee Graf said it appears the “SHS” school threat that spread through social media Wednesday originated in the city of Springfield.

“Through the night we have been following up on leads,” Graf said.  “"We have some suspects that we are looking at...We may be very close to origin of the original post."

Graf said the threat went viral, leading to calls coming in to the department from Mississippi and California regarding the post.

The chief said multiple jurisdictions, including the FBI, have been involved in the investigation.

UPDATE @ 9:20 a.m. 

Bob Hill, Superintendent of Springfield City Schools said class attendance is “light” at Springfield High School, following a generic threat to a “SHS” school. 

RELATED: Extra police at multiple local schools after threats

The threat to the school was determined to be not credible Wednesday night, Hill said. 

“We take threats very seriously,” Hill said Thursday morning. “This affects many schools in Clark County, Springfield, Shawnee High School, Southeastern High School; this has some pretty serious and far-reaching ramifications.” 

“I do know the FBI was involved last night; the Clark County Sheriff’s Office and the Springfield Police Division also.” 

An FBI spokesman confirmed the agency is investigating the threat, but is working with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office and Springfield police, who are leading the investigation. 

Hill said another rumor surfaced at the district that a gun was found at the high school Wednesday, but Hill said this report turned out to be false after it was investigated by the school. 

Southeastern Local Schools Superintendent David Shea said leaders in the district are also taking precautions in light of the threats. 

“We have three South Charleston Police officers at our high school and two at Miami View Elementary School today,” Shea said. 

A number of police officers will remain at the school all day, Shea said. 

A number of students stayed home, likely out of fear of the threat, Shea said, and he understood the concerns of parents due to recent school shootings nationwide. 

FIRST REPORT

Lt. Jeff Williams of Springfield police said since Tuesday evening when reports surfaced of an 8-year-old male arrested for an unloaded gun at Simon Kenton Elementary, that many social media posts have surfaced and been shared. 

RELATED: Superintendent: Springfield schools safe, even after gun in backpack

Williams said many “rumors” are being investigated by Springfield police. He said police believe it is “misinformation” circulating around and they do not believe any credible threat exists.

However, Springfield police will have extra patrols at the high school Thursday.

Parents in the Mad River Local Schools — as well as Springboro — were issued one-calls Wednesday evening.

The Mad River call from the superintendent said they are aware of a social media threat against “SHS” and are investigating whether it was directed to Stebbins High School or another school.

“Every school that starts with an “S” has done that,” Williams said of being on alert.

In an email sent to Springboro parents Wednesday night, the district said the school resource officer and administrative team has been in constant contact with the Springboro Police Department. 

Williams said officers spent most of Wednesday tracking down social media posts and speaking with witnesses in Springfield.

Williams said they don’t know who exactly made the post yet but they are in the process of tracking the source of the post.

“We are investigating every possible lead,” Williams said.

He added even the FBI called Springfield to offer assistance — if they need it, but the FBI is not involved at the moment. 

Williams said Springfield police are fielding calls from police agencies in other states with “S” schools. He declined to share which states have made inquiries.

Springfield High School’s website now includes a message on the homepage about this social media threat. School will be in session Thursday.

Springfield City Schools posted this message on its high school website, Feb. 21, 2018.

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office Wednesday evening said they are also investigating these threats.

In Shelby County, the Sidney school district posted to its website that it is aware of the threat. In their post it says law enforcement determined the post was made from outside of Ohio. That district will have increased patrols Thursday.

Toledo police sent a tweet about the threat, saying it’s likely a hoax, but is being taken seriously.

Trending - Most Read Stories

New Jersey arts festival shooting: Suspect dead, 22 hurt, police say

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 7:50 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 2:59 PM

New Jersey Arts Festival Shooting

One suspect is dead and 22 people were hurt early Sunday after gunfire rang out at an arts festival in Trenton, New Jersey, authorities said.

 

According to The Associated Press, Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo Onofri said two suspects began firing their weapons at the Art All Night festival about 3 a.m. EDT Sunday. Authorities said four of the victims were injured critically, and 16 of the victims suffered gunshot wounds, the AP reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Onofri said one suspect, identified only as a 33-year-old man, has died. Police have apprehended the second suspect, WNBC reported.

UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 2:59 p.m.: New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy spoke at the Galilee Baptist Church in Trenton. “Art All Night is a time when we call come together. We cannot let gun violence tear us apart,” he said. “These are not inappropriate times to talk about gun policy. These are the most important times to talk about gun policy.”

UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 2:40 p.m.: The Trentonian reported that “law enforcement sources” believed a fight that sparked the shooting was the result of an ongoing conflict between two rival groups. A social media post 15 hours before the shooting suggested that there would be gunfire at the event. A Facebook post by Danielle Grady pleaded for people to “Please, please, do not got to Art All Night! They will be shooting it up!” 

The post has since been taken down, but the Trentonian ran a screen shot of the Facebook post.

UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 11:00 a.m.  EDT:Officials said 22 people were injured during the incident, 17 by gunfire. Of the four people injured critically, one was a 13-year-old boy who was in “extreme critical condition,” police said.

UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 9:25 a.m. EDT: What Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo Onofri said the festival does not appear to have been the target of the shooting, NJ.com reported.

"All indications are that this was a dispute between individuals that occurred at Art All Night," Onofri said.

UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 9:08 a.m. EDT: At a news conference Sunday morning, Trenton Mayor Eric Jackson called the shooting “truly a tragedy” for the city. 

“All shootings, whether large or small, are a crisis. It’s a fact that our cities, as well as our suburbs, throughout America are experiencing an increase in public shootings and public unrest,” Jackson said. “This isn’t some random act of violence; this is a public health issue. We are working cooperatively and collaboratively to end this violence in the city of Trenton.”

UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 8:53 a.m. EDT: Art festival officials announced on Facebook “with great regret” that the remainder of the festival had been canceled.

“We’re still processing much of this and we don’t have many answers at this time,” officials wrote in the Facebook post.

Trending - Most Read Stories

2 people shot at Washington Walmart

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 9:24 PM

File photo. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)(Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Police are responding to reports of a shooting inside the Walmart Supercenter in Tumwater, Washington. 

>> Read more trending news

The fire department told KIRO7.com they are calling it a "mass casualty incident" and confirmed at least two people were shot.

The Walmart is about 62 miles from Seattle.This is a developing story. Check back with KIRO7.com for updates.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Two injured after motorcycle goes airborne after crash with truck on U.S. 35

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 7:11 PM
Updated: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 1:00 AM

Crash involving motorcycle reported in Dayton

Two people were taken to Miami Valley Hospital after a crash on U.S. 35 eastbound Sunday evening.

A motorcycle and pick-up truck were traveling east when the pick-up truck struck the motorcycle, making the motorcycle and its driver go airborne a far distance near the Steve Whalen Blvd. exit.

>> One killed in Warren County motorcycle crash

The pick-up truck continued driving and crashed near the South Smithville exit. The truck went underneath the Smithville exit, hit a guard rail, and crashed into the wooded area, according to officials.

The male driving the motorcycle was taken to the hospital with serious injuries, and it is unknown if he was wearing a helmet at the time. The injuries of the female driving the pick-up truck are unknown.

>> How to prevent heat-related and life-threatening illnesses during extreme heat

The crash closed eastbound U.S. 35.

Crews on scene were taking measurements of the crash, and the cause is still under investigation.

Trending - Most Read Stories

How to prevent heat-related and life-threatening illnesses during extreme heat

Published: Friday, June 15, 2018 @ 9:28 PM



http://ketteringhealth.org/mediaroom/news/index.cfm?x=492#storytop
(http://ketteringhealth.org/mediaroom/news/index.cfm?x=492#storytop)

Kettering Health Network ER doctors urge caution during extreme heat. 

Everyone is at risk when temperatures rise above 90 degrees, but the elderly and the very young are most susceptible to heat and heat-related illnesses.

>> Air Pollution Advisory extended to Monday for smog

Heat-related illnesses can cause serious injury and even death if unattended. Signs of these illnesses include nausea, dizziness, flushed or pale skin, and heavy sweating and headaches. If a person is affected by heat-related illness, they should be moved to a cool place, given cool water to drink, and ice packs or cool wet cloths should be applied to the skin.

If a person refuses water, vomits, or loses consciousness, call 9-1-1 or your local emergency number immediately. 

Doctors also urge caution when playing and working outside in extreme heat to avoid injuries and life-threatening illnesses. They urge people to dress for the heat, drink water, eat small meals and eat more often, slow down, stay indoors when possible, and be a good neighbor. 

For more information on how to avoid injuries and life-threatening illnesses, visit Kettering Health Network’s website.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories