Live Video


Ohio 571 reopening today following grain silo collapse, officials say

Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 11:44 PM
Updated: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 @ 3:36 PM

SKY7: Aerial footage of the continued clean up efforts after grain silo explodes in New Carlisle more than a week after the silo collapsed, spilling tens of thousands of tons of grain all over.

UPDATE @ 3:55 p.m. (Feb. 5):

New Carlisle fire officials said they expect Ohio 571 to reopen by 6 p.m. following the grain silo collapse last month.

UPDATE @ 2:34 p.m. (Jan. 30):The Clark County transportation administrator has extended the closure of Ohio 571, so crews have more time to clean up the scene, according to the Ohio Department of Transportation.

The reopening has been pushed back to Feb. 5, however the road could reopen sooner depending on clean up, ODOT said.

UPDATE @ 10:38 a.m. (Jan. 30):

Ohio 571 near the site of a grain silo collapse is scheduled to reopen Wednesday, according to the Ohio Department of Transportation.

Sky 7 flew over the scene Tuesday morning, showing the majority of the state route being cleared of corn.

LOCAL NEWS: Girl, 16, to be charged in ‘sexting’ case involving Vandalia Butler students

UPDATE @ 1:32 p.m. (Jan. 25):

The Ohio Department of Transportation said the continued closure of Ohio 571 near Scarff Road is for the safety of drivers as cleanup continues, a decision echoed by multiple agencies.

“Even though State Route 571 is basically clear right now, they still have a lot of piles of corn really close to the roadway,” said ODOT spokeswoman Mandi Dillon.

Dillon said ODOT is a supporting agency in the case and they are working closely with the city of New Carlisle.

ODOT said with the continued cleanup efforts and due to the amount of heavy machinery that has been entering and exiting the road, the decision was the best to make for public safety.

SKY7: Aerial footage of the clean up of exploded grain silo in New Carlisle

UPDATE @ 4 p.m. (Jan. 24)

According to the Ohio Department of Transportation, State Route 571 will be closed near Scarff Road until January 31. The official detour will remain as SR 201 to US40 to SR 235. 

UPDATE @ 8:57 a.m. (Jan. 24):

New Carlisle Fire Chief Steve Trusty said corn continues to cover and close Ohio 571 Wednesday after a silo collapse Sunday night.

Trusty said clean up crews are making headway with their efforts, but a lot of debris still needs moved.

The Ohio Department of Transportation will be checking the road to make sure it is safe after the corn is removed, Trusty said.

Additional work needing done because of damage includes moving electrical line and replacing four utility poles, he said.

INITIAL REPORT:

Ohio 571 remains closed in New Carlisle after a grain silo collapse sent 10,000 tons of corn onto the roadway late Sunday evening.

Crews worked delicately Tuesday to prevent any damage to other nearby buildings surrounded by corn, said New Carlisle Fire Chief Steven Trusty.

"Give us the time, because it's not going to go away in a day,” Trusty said. "It's going to be a very slow process."

LOCAL NEWS: Centerville officers honored for ‘brave’ actions during apartment fire

Sheriff’s deputies are treating the scene at Miami Valley Feed and Grain Company as a crime scene until criminal activity is ruled out.

“(We’re) considering it to be a crime scene until proven otherwise,” said Maj. Christopher Clark with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.  “We really don’t know what happened to cause the collapse, so we are going to be here to secure the scene.”

Clark said the scene is “very dangerous” and the county is planning to station deputies on the scene around the clock. Anyone that goes past barricades could be subject to charges.

Crews run into issues cleaning up corn after grain silo collapse

Trusty said the corn is being moved onto the property of the grain silo owner for insurance purposes, however once insurance issues are addressed it will be the property owner’s responsibility for removal.

RELATED: Damages still being assessed at AK Steel fire in Middletown

Ohio 571 is expected to be shut down until through at least today, according to the Ohio Department of Transportation.  

ODOT suggested detour is Ohio 201 to U.S. 40, then to Ohio 235, according to a media release. 

ODOT said the road closure times could change depending on the progress of the cleanup. 

Jarod Thrush/Staff

Crews were initially called to Miami Valley Feed & Grain at 880 W. Jefferson St. around 11:40 p.m. on reports of an explosion.

After a preliminary investigation, it was determined that one silo collapsed, rather than exploded, and partially damaged another building as well as caused 10,000 tons of corn to cover Ohio 571.

“What residents heard when they thought they heard explosions were the transformers blowing when the debris hit them”, said Steve Trusty, Chief of New Carlisle Fire Department. 

There were not any employees on site at the time.

The silo collapse took out at least three power poles and power lines, which caused a brief power outage that has since been restored to all area residents.

RELATED: Two coal trail cars carrying  200,000 pounds of raw steel derails in Clark County

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Alleged pimp to spend decades in prison 

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 3:00 AM

UPDATE @ 9:52 a.m. (May 24):

Seven months after he turned down a plea agreement for 10 to 15 years, alleged pimp James Cargle — who called himself an innocent "sacrificial lamb" — was sentenced to 41 years for rape, kidnapping and assault charges involving two women on Thursday morning.

In October 2017, Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Richard Skelton told Cargle, “As you sit here right now, you were about to be sentenced with a sentencing range of 10 to 15. Be careful for what you wish for.” 

Skelton emphasized Thursday that it wasn’t a so-called “trial tax” and that applauds attorneys who take cases to a jury, but that it was a “trial reality” that the judge heard things “he didn’t like.”

INITIAL REPORT:

The alleged pimp who was found guilty on charges including kidnapping, rape, and felonious assault for events that took place in late November 2016 will be sentenced today. 

RELATED: Alleged pimp’s kidnapping, rape, assault trial like ‘plot of a movie’

James Cargle, 31, who is described as a drug dealer and pimp, led a plot to kidnap, assault and cage a woman and enlisted the help of other women in his plot, according to a prosecutor’s memorandum.

Cargle then turned against one of the women after the first victim escaped, leading to the second victim being beaten, raped and assaulted by co-defendants before jumping out of a trunk of a moving car, a Montgomery County Prosecutor's Office memo said.

RELATED: Man changes mind about trial on rape, kidnapping charges

Dayton police said on Nov. 27, 2016, Amy Hardin (formerly McMahan) was kidnapped, raped and assaulted by one man and two women who punched her and hit her with a blunt object. She was found on a Dayton city street after she fell from a moving car. 

Cargle, who was to be sentenced to 10 to 15 years in a October 2017 plea deal, withdrew his guilty plea and changed his attorney. His trial began April 30.

On May 3, he was found guilty on three charges of kidnapping, one charge of rape and one count of felonious assault in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court. 

Co-defendants Cassidy Lake and Jennifer Rice, both of whom pleaded guilty and testified against Cargle are awaiting sentencing.

RELATED: Alleged pimp trial: Woman tells of rape, beatings, being held in dog cage 

This news outlet does not name rape victims, but in this case Hardin (then McMahan) gave permission to use her name and spoke out in an exclusive interview with our reporters following the attack.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton OK’s ‘road safety’ law, but critics say it criminalizes being poor and panhandling

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:03 AM


            A group of citizens held up signs and spoke out against Dayton’s ordinance that will restrict panhandling and other pedestrian activities along 51 roadways. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF
A group of citizens held up signs and spoke out against Dayton’s ordinance that will restrict panhandling and other pedestrian activities along 51 roadways. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF

The Dayton City Commission this week approved an ordinance that officials say seeks to reduce pedestrian strikes but that critics paint as a thinly veiled attempt to criminalize panhandling.

The ordinance prohibits pedestrians from getting within three feet of vehicles that are in operation along 51 of Dayton’s busiest and most dangerous roadways.

RELATED: Proposed Dayton law on pedestrians, panhandling could be challenged

The city also has outlawed loitering on the medians or traffic islands of the specified highways and streets and prohibits people from engaging in begging along these roadways unless the vehicles are parked at the curb or shoulder.

There have been more than 685 pedestrian strikes in the city in the last decade, and more than two-thirds of those crashes have happened on these specified, or arterial, roadways, said Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley.

The city has taken some actions that caused community debate to make the city safer, including installing automated cameras to catch motorists who speed and run red lights, Whaley said.

“When the neighborhoods and the people who live in the city are calling for us to make our streets more safe, that is what we are continuing to do,” she said.

Five citizens this week spoke out against the new legislation, claiming it is an ill-conceived attempt to prevent the poor and needy from begging and asking for help.

“I still can’t begin to wrap my mind around the fact that this commission, along with the Downtown Dayton Partnership, are teaming up to literally criminalize poverty and strip Dayton residents of the right to panhandle in the streets,” said Corey Andon, an organizer with Socialist Alternative Dayton and a Kettering resident.

Pedestrians are forbidden from coming within three feet of vehicles in operation on the roadways, and the regulations apply to the 250 feet of non-specified roads leading to intersections with arterials. The law also prohibits motorists from slowing down or swerving out of their lane to try to interact with pedestrians along the roads who are violating the new regulations.

Pedestrians can hold a sign asking for help on the arterial roads as long as they remain on the sidewalk, Whaley said. Panhandlers can beg with fewer restrictions on the city’s other streets.

The city is working with community partners to address the issues that lead people to panhandle, Whaley said.

“The ordinance strikes a careful balance between increasing public safety and the need to protect everyone’s right to freedom of speech,” she said.

Violating the ordinance is a fourth-degree misdemeanor.

RELATED: Dayton panhandlers, pedestrian crashes targeted in new law

The city has chosen to turn beggars into criminals rather than trying to enact smart, common-sense policies to help poor people, said Andon .

“You are pushing to hold folks criminally accountable for asking their community for assistance,” he said.

Andon said the city should instead fight for a higher minimum wage and tax the wealthy to help pay for more affordable housing.

Criminalizing what is not really a criminal behavior is a bad way to try to solve the social problem of panhandling, said Mary Sue Gmeiner, a Dayton resident.

The people who come to Dayton to work, relax, spend money and have a good time don’t like to see people begging on the street corner, because it reminds them of poverty, drug use, mental illness, homelessness and “all of the social ills” that have not been solved, Gmeiner said.

“Just because we don’t like someone else or their actions, doesn’t mean we have a right to make them disappear from our sight,” she said.

Dayton’s ordinance was closely modeled after a law in Madison, Wis., which was widely viewed as a way to reduce complaints about panhandling as well as improve pedestrian safety.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Xenia takes Greene county to court in bid to annex Central State

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 10:29 AM

Xenia seeks reverse of commissioners’ decision to deny CSU annex

The city of Xenia has taken legal action against Greene County commissioners, asking a court to reverse their decision denying the city’s petition to annex land connected to Central State University.

RELATED >>> Greene County rejects Xenia, CSU annexation petition

The city filed the complaint Wednesday with the Ohio Second District Court of Appeals and seeks a “writ of mandamus,” according to filings with the Greene County Clerk of Courts.

STAY CONNECTED: Greene County News on Facebook

A writ of mandamus is an order from a court to a government official ordering the government official to properly fulfill their official duties or correct an abuse of discretion, according to the definition as provided by the Cornell Law School.

RELATED >>> Miles of bike path key to Central State annexation into Xenia

The city submitted a petition to the county in September seeking an expedited Type II annexation of approximately 45 acres of land. Key to the city’s proposal is annexing approximately six miles along the Ohio to Erie Trail which connects the city to CSU property.

Such annexations have been referred to as “string” or “balloon on a string” annexations, in which a city uses a strip of land to annex a larger piece of land that is not otherwise connected to the city limits.

MORE >>> School deregulation bill gets dozen amendments, but no vote

County commissioners Alan Anderson, Tom Koogler and Bob Glaser, who are named in the city’s court filing, voted unanimously in November denying the city’s annexation petition.

County commission boards are obligated under Ohio law to approve such petitions, providing that a city fulfills seven requirements.

This news organization is working to gather more details about this developing story.

 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man involved in Clark County police pursuit to appear in court

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 10:58 AM

Man involved in Clark County pursuit appears in court

The man accused of leading police on a pursuit through Clark County is set to appear in court today. 

King Hurschel Jr. faces firearms charges, fleeing and eluding police officers and having weapons under disability. 

He is set to appear in Judge Denise Moody’s courtroom in Clark County Municipal Court at 10:30 a.m. 

1 YEAR LATER: Rebuilding continues after 5 tornadoes hit Miami Valley

Initial reports indicated a police pursuit occurred late Wednesday afternoon. The chase ended in the area of Ohio 4 and Moorefield Road after a vehicle ran over stop sticks. 

A Facebook post by Clark County Sheriff Deb Burchett with a photo of Wednesday’s scene says, ‘My suggestion is if you are going to break into houses don’t come to Clark County.’ She went on to thank the other departments involved in the chase including Springfield Police Division, The Ohio State Highway Patrol and Champaign County Sheriff’s Office. 

Trending - Most Read Stories