MIAMI VALLEY — If you lose power when temperatures in the winter, there are things you and your family can do to ensure you stay safe while without electricity.
DURING A POWER OUTAGE:
- All supplemental sources of heat and portable generators must have proper ventilation. Never place a generator in your garage or near a window, where fumes could enter the home.
- Gas and wood-burning fireplaces both emit carbon monoxide. Make sure you have a functioning carbon monoxide detector in your home to detect the odorless gas. Use caution when burning anything in your home.
- Turn off all heat producing appliances, like the stove, if you experience an outage, in case you are not home when power is restored.
- For outdoor pets, add straw or bedding to provide insulation and during extreme cold, bring pets inside or into a garage or outbuilding.
- If your home loses power for more than a few hours or you have inadequate supplies to stay warm overnight contact your local shelter. You can text SHELTER and your ZIP CODE to 43362 (4FEMA) to find the nearest shelter.
BEFORE A POWER OUTAGE:
- Create an emergency storm kit, with an emergency radio, water, non-perishable food, flashlights and a first aid kit.
- Make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors.
SOURCE: Dayton Power & Light, Ready.gov