Local

Gas can too close to grill causes fire that displaces Trotwood family of 7

Seven people have been displaced after a fire in an outdoor grill burned the rear of their home in the 1200 block of Stuben Drive in Trotwood.

SEE: More news headlines

Trotwood fire Lt. David Downey said a cookout was occurring in the backyard and a gasoline container apparently was placed too close to the charcoal grill.

Smoke and flames were showing when crews arrived, Lt. Downey said.

There were no injuries, but the fire caused an estimated $5,000 damage to the single-story home, the lieutenant said.

RELATED: Dayton fire chief denies reports of staffing cuts

The adult and six children, who range in age from 6 years old to 17 years old, will have to find other housing arrangements for tonight, he said.

Red Cross volunteers were called to assist the family.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com