DAYTON — UPDATE @ 4:58 p.m.:
Dayton Public Schools said it “will not move forward with charging students for masks,” according to a statement issued to News Center 7.
“Shortly after posting the statement about needing to charge for masks, the district got a call about PPE that would be coming from the state,” the statement read.
A spreadsheet provided by the district to News Center 7 showed the district was expecting to receive 28,000 masks.
UPDATE @ 3:53 p.m.:
Dayton Public Schools removed a social media post from its Facebook page Tuesday afternoon that had announced plans for the district to begin charging some students for masks beginning next week.
The district said the post was taken down and said “they are looking at some donations and may not need to charge for masks.”
Dayton Public Schools announced it will begin charging some students for masks if they show up without one to class beginning next week.
“Beginning September 13th, the district will be charging 50 cents per mask to students in grades 7-12. Please either be prepared to pay for masks daily or provide a reusable mask for your student,” the district said in a notice on its website.
The district initially posted an announcement on the policy change on its Facebook page, but is was removed around 3:30 p.m.
The district said in the last three weeks triple the amount of masks have been provided compared to the last four months of school last year.
“Purchasing these masks uses money that should be used for student materials and resources,” the district said.
The district previously announced it will be requiring masks in the classroom for all students and staff.
News Center 7 is working to get additional details on the policy announced Tuesday afternoon.
©2021 Cox Media Group