log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 @ 5:23 PM
DAYTON — Oregon District memorials following the mass shooting earlier this month have been removed as the city takes steps to create a permanent memorial.
Staff from Dayton History accepted the items for preserving and archiving the tragic Aug. 4 event, when a gunman shot 26 people, killing nine.
“As the official history organization for Montgomery County, Dayton History is committed to preserving and safeguarding historic artifacts for posterity,” Brady Kress, president and CEO of Dayton History said. “At the request of the city of Dayton we have accepted the responsibility to save temporary memorial items honoring the victims. We hope this effort brings some measure of comfort to our community.”
Dayton resident Yvonne Curry said she was surprised the memorials were removed this afternoon.
“My hope is that they will bring it back in a more permanent collection, but most definitely I think the mural, the heart here, should be permanently mounted. If not here, then somewhere in the Oregon District,” she said.
While Curry said she understands the fresh flowers left were likely drying out, she said “it would be nice if they put all those remarks and statements that people left in a permanent place and bring it back to the Oregon District.
“I just feel that Dayton will be known for its strength and resilience,” she said.
Earlier this month, Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley announced intentions to create a permanent memorial.
“We want to be very thoughtful as we begin the process of developing a permanent memorial,” Whaley said. “Having a place where people can go and reflect is important.”