log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, January 11, 2019 @ 8:48 PM
By: Breaking News Staff
— An abundance of caution should be used if you have to remove snow and ice around a natural gas meter at home or at a business, officials with Vectren Energy Delivery said.
Ice and snow accumulation can interfere with the proper operation of the gas meter given it needs to be able to release gas in case of a malfunction. Snow removal activities can also pose a hazard to the gas meter assembly or piping and result in a dangerous leak.
Follow these guidelines when removing snow and/or ice:
• Remove large icicles hanging over meter assemblies and appliance vents
• Make sure whoever removes snow from your property is aware if your gas meter is near a sidewalk or driveway
• Use a broom – not a shovel – to clear snow from meter assembly and vents.
• If your gas meter is encased in ice, do not attempt to melt and/or chip the ice, as this could damage the meter. Allow the ice to melt on its own.
• Pay particular attention when moving snow on a commercial lot. Don’t pile snow around gas meters.
• Consider installing driveway entrance reflectors around gas meters if they’re close to a road or driveway.