Crime And Law

CRUISER CAM: Lengthy pursuit starting in Clark County ends in SWAT standoff in Dayton

Newly released cruiser camera footage from the Ohio State Highway Patrol shows the entirety of a lengthy high-speed pursuit that started in Clark County and ended in an hours-long SWAT standoff in Dayton last week.

>>PREVIOUS REPORT: Police chase ends with 2 people in custody, damage to police cruisers

The footage was released Wednesday by the Ohio State Highway Patrol following a public records request. The over four hour video shows the moments where state troopers joined the chase, which was initiated by the Clark County Sheriff’s Office, and shows the lengthy pursuit through parts of Clark, Greene, and Montgomery counties in the early morning hours of Dec. 1.

Michael F. Wallace, 27, of Springfield, was arrested and is facing charges in the incident after investigators said he was the driver of the truck and rammed cruisers during the pursuit.

>>ODH Director: ‘current surge is putting a dangerous strain on state’s health care’

OSHP cruiser cameras showed the driver ramming both a deputy’s cruiser and a state trooper’s cruiser on state Route 4 south of Chambersburg Road. When the truck rammed the cruiser, it took off the driver’s side door of a state trooper’s cruiser as the pursuit continued south into Riverside and Dayton.

Dayton police deployed tire deflation devices that punctured all four tires of the truck and eventually forced the suspect to stop, according to the footage. After boxing in the truck, multiple law enforcement officers surround the truck and demand the driver and passenger to come out.

A short time later all law enforcement units retreated and SWAT units replaced them by surrounding the vehicle. Court records indicate SWAT units deployed “several chemical agents” to get Wallace and the passenger to surrender. Both were later taken into custody over two hours after the pursuit ended.

Wallace remains in the Clark County Jail Thursday and is being held on a $25,000 bond. Court records indicate he’s facing charges of felonious assault and failure to comply with order or signal of a police officer.

Additional details were not available.

Comments on this article