Ohio toddler who died in apartment fire may have accidentally sparked blaze himself, officials say

CINCINNATI — An Ohio toddler who died in an apartment fire earlier this week may have accidentally sparked the blaze himself, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news

According to The Associated Press and WLWT, Cincinnati Fire Department officials said Amari Campbell, 3, may have been lighting incense when a fire broke out Monday afternoon in his grandmother’s apartment near Wade Walk and Winchell Avenue in the city’s West End. Emergency crews responded to the scene shortly before 2:30 p.m. and found the child, who had suffered serious burns, under a bed, the AP reported. He later died at a nearby hospital.

The boy’s grandmother also was inside the home when the fire began, but neighbors helped her to safety, according to the AP. The neighbors were not able to reach the child, authorities said.

Although no other people were hurt in the blaze, three residents of other apartments have been displaced, officials said.

The boy’s father, Robert Eubanks, has started a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for the funeral and other expenses.

“Daddy loves you, man,” Eubanks said of his son, according to WLWT. “I pray for you every minute and every second.”

Read more here or here.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.