Death of Temptations singer Dennis Edwards under investigation

Published: Thursday, February 08, 2018 @ 1:16 PM

Remembering Dennis Edwards, Former Lead Singer Of Temptations

Authorities are investigating allegations that Grammy Award-winning Motown singer Dennis Edwards, who spent years as a lead singer with The Temptations, was abused before his death last week.

>> Read more trending news

Family members said Edwards died Feb. 1 in Chicago, one day before his 75th birthday. His wife, Brenda Edwards, told the Chicago Tribune that her husband died from complications of meningitis.

However, Becky Schlickerman, a spokeswoman for the Cook County, Illinois, Medical Examiner’s Office, said Monday that an autopsy failed to determine the cause and manner of Dennis Edwards’ death, The Detroit News reported.

“It’s an open and ongoing investigation at this time,” Chicago police spokeswoman Laura Amezaga told the News on Tuesday.

>> Related: Former lead singer of legendary Temptations, Dennis Edwards, dead at 74

Three weeks before Dennis Edwards’ death, an investigator with the Healthcare Consortium of Illinois filed a request for an emergency protection order on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee’s behalf, the Tribune reported. The agency investigates cases of elder abuse for the state, according to the News.

In the court records, the investigator said that Brenda Edwards tried to suffocate her husband by holding his head down on a pillow and that she took his hearing aids away from him. Dennis Edwards was described as “bedbound and immobile,” the Tribune reported.

Brenda Edwards denied the allegations Monday night in a statement.

“I loved Dennis and we were married for 18 years,” she said. “I would have never done anything to harm him. These allegations are false and defamatory and will be proven as such. Until this is all over, I have no further comment.”

Authorities continue to investigate the case.

Dennis Edwards was survived by five daughters, a son and several grandchildren, according to the Tribune.

Dennis Edwards performs at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tribute concert honoring Aretha Franklin during the 16th American Music Masters Tribute at PlayhouseSquare's State Theatre on November 5, 2011 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Jason Miller/Getty Images for Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame)(Jason Miller)

Trending - Most Read Stories

SeaWorld, Busch Gardens: Free admission available for veterans now through July 4

Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 5:43 AM

(Photo by Matt Stroshane/Getty Images)
Matt Stroshane/Getty Images
(Photo by Matt Stroshane/Getty Images)(Matt Stroshane/Getty Images)

From now through July 4, U.S. veterans and up to three guests can get free admission to SeaWorld Orlando, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay as well as other SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties across the U.S.

>> Read more trending news

SeaWorld said in a news release that this new offer joins the ongoing Waves of Honor program that offers complimentary admission to any U.S. active duty military, activated or drilling reservist, or National Guardsman once per year, for the military personnel and as many as three direct dependents.

Veterans must redeem their complimentary single-day ticket(s) online at www.WavesofHonor.com. The free tickets are available online only, not available at the front gate for each park.

In addition to SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, the free admission offer is available at SeaWorld San Antonio, SeaWorld San Diego, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Active military and veterans can always receive discounted admission tickets through MWR and ITT offices on U.S. military bases as well as www.WavesofHonor.com. These offers are available year-round. Each park may have various discounted admission products throughout the year that are also available online at www.WavesofHonor.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Bond is back: Daniel Craig comes back as 007

Published: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 @ 9:54 AM

BERLIN, GERMANY - OCTOBER 28:  Actor Daniel Craig attends the German premiere of the new James Bond movie 'Spectre' at CineStar on October 28, 2015 in Berlin, Germany.  (Photo by Adam Berry/Getty Images for Sony Pictures)
Adam Berry
BERLIN, GERMANY - OCTOBER 28: Actor Daniel Craig attends the German premiere of the new James Bond movie 'Spectre' at CineStar on October 28, 2015 in Berlin, Germany. (Photo by Adam Berry/Getty Images for Sony Pictures)(Adam Berry)

Craig, Daniel Craig. The latest in the line of actors who have portrayed super spy James Bond will take another crack at the iconic role, the New York Times is reporting.

>> Read more trending news

Craig, who was rumored to be stepping down, is proving them all wrong and will be in at least one more film set to be released in November 2019.

The untitled film will be written by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, who were the screenwriting team for the last six Bond movies and will be the 25th in the series.

The film will be made by Eon and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, produced by Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli.

After the wrap of the last Bond flick “Spectre,” Craig said he wanted to focus on other roles. But later backpedaled on harsh comments that he would rather do something else than appear as Bond, saying that he was exhausted during the interview and that he would consider coming back as the secret agent, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

A list of actors were being bandied about to take over the role from Craig if he didn’t come back. Among them were Idris Elba, Tom Hiddleston, Damien Lewis and Tom Hardy, The Hollywood Reporter reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Parents remember son killed in car accident on the way to take his final exam

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:33 PM

(WSBTV.com)
(WSBTV.com)

The family of a high school senior from Floyd County, Georgia, is planning his funeral just days before they were planning to see him graduate.

>> Read more trending news

His family told WSB-TV they're overwhelmed by the support they've received.

Blue ribbons are everywhere near Model High School, even on the school itself, to honor Caleb Keller, 18.

"He was a very special kid," said his mother, April Helton. "He said, 'I'm going to make it, I'm going to walk across that stage,' and we are all just so excited."

But four days before graduation, the high school senior died in a two-car crash on the way to take his finals.

Floyd County authorities said Keller crashed his car into another truck at Mango Road and Wayside Road at around 10:30 a.m.

He died Tuesday morning.

His family said he was on his way to school to take his finals, but the road was wet.

"The road right there is a gravel road, and it had washed, and he just lost control," said his father, Clint Helton.

His family said the community has placed hundreds of blue ribbons for Keller all across the county, including some at his high school.

They are thankful and hopeful that Caleb's friends can still enjoy the graduation ceremony.

"We want this to be bright and happy for them because that's what Caleb would want," April said.

His parents want everyone to know through their pain and their heartbreak, they feel incredibly proud of their beloved son.

"Even though Caleb's not going to be there to walk with them, he's just as much a part, and he's there," April said.

The other driver involved was released from a hospital after the crash with minor injuries.

Trending - Most Read Stories

N. Korea says it’s still willing to meet with Trump after sudden cancellation of summit

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 9:32 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 9:32 PM

President Trump Cancels Meeting With Kim Jong-un

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said he is still willing to meet with President Donald Trump, after Trump abruptly canceled a summit Thursday, which was scheduled for June 12 in Singapore.

>> Read more trending news

"We express our willingness to sit down face-to-face with the U.S. and resolve issues anytime and in any format," North Korea’s Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan said in the statement, according to South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency.

He also said the North was frustrated with the cancellation because they had been preparing for the meeting with Trump.

"Despite all of this, the U.S.' unilateral decision to scrap the talks causes us to reconsider whether all of the efforts and the path we have taken is really the right one or not," he said in the statement.

Yonhap also reported that Kim said the sudden cancellation of the summit next month underscores the urgent need for a meeting between Trump and Kim

In canceling the summit, Trump also left open the possibility that the meeting could be rescheduled

(Previous story)

President Donald Trump said Thursday that he remains open to meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, hours after he canceled their planned summit in Singapore in a letter released by White House officials. 

“I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea and, indeed, a setback for the world,” Trump said Thursday at a news conference. “I hope that Kim Jong Un will ultimately do what is right not only for himself, but perhaps most importantly what is right for his people, who are suffering greatly and needlessly.”

He added that “our military ... is ready,” should North Korean officials respond to Thursday’s cancellation with a show of force. Japanese and South Korean officials have also vowed to respond if “foolish or reckless acts be taken by North Korea,” Trump said.

 

Still, the president didn’t rule out the possibility of meeting with Kim.

“A lot of things can happen, including the fact that, perhaps, it’s possible the existing summit could take place or a summit at some later date,” Trump said. “Nobody should be anxious. We have to get it right.”

The president wrote in his letter to Kim that his decision to cancel the planned June 12 meeting came “based on the tremendous anger and open hostility” displayed in a recent statement from North Korea.

>> From Jamie Dupree: President Trump scraps summit meeting with Kim Jong Un

In the statement, the North Korean government referred to Vice President Mike Pence as a "political dummy" and said it is just as ready to meet in a nuclear confrontation as at the negotiating table.

“I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,” Trump wrote. “Please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.”

Senior North Korean diplomat Choe Son Hui told North Korea’s state-run news agency on Thursday that, “Whether the U.S. will meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown is entirely dependent upon the decision and behavior of the United States,” The Associated Press reported.

>> Reports: North Korea demolishes nuclear test site

Trump responded to the comment in his letter Thursday, telling Kim that, “You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”

The letter was released just hours after reports surfaced that North Korea had demolished a nuclear test site in the country's northeast region. The closing of the testing site had been announced as a step leading up to the summit between President Donald Trump and North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, the Associated Press reported.

Trump earlier this month announced that a historic meeting between him and Kim would take place in Singapore in June.

 

Read the full letter released Thursday by White House officials:

```

Letter to Chairman Kim Jong Un by National Content Desk on Scribd

```

Check back for updates to this developing story.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories