3 times officer-involved shootings turned deadly in the Miami Valley in 2019

Officers involved in deadly shootings live with the aftermath for the rest of their lives, often with a significant impact to their mental heath.

While officer-involved shootings make headlines, the lingering affect on law enforcement is rarely discussed.

>> RELATED: When police fire: Officer-involved shootings

News Center 7 I-Team's Cheryl McHenry sat down with former and current officers about the psychological toll of those shootings. For more information, tune in at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 21.

So far this year, officers in the Miami Valley region were involved in at least three deadly shootings:

On Aug. 4, nine people were killed and 37 injured in a mass shooting in the Oregon District.

Six Dayton polices officers shot and killed the gunman, Connor Betts, less than a minute after the first shots were fired.

All six officers were placed on administrative, which is protocol for officer-involved shootings.

Police are still working to determine a motive in the shooting.

A Dayton police officer shot and injured a man during a struggle following a foot chase on Aug. 22.

Michael Tuck, 29, died from his wounds while at Miami Valley Hospital.

He reportedly ran from a car following a traffic stop near Delphos Avenue and West Third Street. During an apparent struggle over the officer’s Taser, the officer fired his gun and shot Tuck.

The officer and his partner were placed on administrative leave pending an investigation, which is protocol for the department.

An Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper shot and killed a Granville man following a high-speed chase that ended in Trotwood on Oct. 21.

Joseph Bernhard-William Kiser, 21, was pronounced dead on the scene.

Kiser led the trooper on a nine-minute chase with speeds over 100 miles per hour on U.S. 35, said OSP.

The chase ended after the car stopped in the middle of the road on U.S. 49 near Olive Road.

Kiser reportedly got out of the car and pointed a gun at the trooper. The trooper shot Kiser three times.

Trotwood police and troopers applied first aid, but Kiser died at the scene.

The trooper was place on administrative leave pending an investigation.