VIDEO: Man arrested after running from officers twice, 2+ hour standoff; drugs possibly involved

FAIRBORN — A man a 911 caller said was “going crazy and possibly under the influence of meth” led police of a pursuit and subsequent standoff inside a vehicle before being arrested Thursday, according to Huber Heights Police.

Huber Heights Police first responded to a home in the 4800 block of Creeknoll Court around 9:40 a.m.

>> PHOTOS: Fairborn standoff

“Officers arrived in the area and saw the suspect leaving in a white Cadillac sedan,” Huber Heights police said. “The first officer attempted to stop the vehicle but the vehicle did not heed to the officers lights or siren. The suspect vehicle completed a U-turn in the road and then drove quickly at the other officer who drove out of the way.”

A short pursuit started, but was terminated due to high speeds, dangerous driving and road conditions, said Sgt. Brian Carr with Huber Heights Police. News Center 7 obtained cruiser camera footage of the pursuit through a public records request.

The suspect, identified by jail records as James Leach, then was accused of showing back up at the house about 45 minutes later.

“The suspect came back to the house and a neighbor called in to say it looked like he might try to ram the house with his car,” Carr said. “As the suspect vehicle fled, he again drove quickly at the officers. These officers attempted to stop the vehicle but he did not comply.”

>> 82-year-old Beavercreek man sentenced for child rape

A short time later Fairborn police responded to a crash at an apartment complex and notified Huber Height Police that it involved the same suspect vehicle, Carr said.

“They said the suspect had went into an apartment and took an AR-15 rifle out of the apartment and locked himself back in his vehicle,” said Carr. “Negotiators spoke with the man for 2 hours until he turned his phone off. One canister of gas was deployed and Leach exited the vehicle.”

Carr said police recovered a loaded AR-15 from inside the car.

Leach is being held in jail on suspicion of domestic violence and felonious assault, jail records show. Formal charges will be presented to the Greene and Montgomery County prosecutors for consideration.