I-675 North in Fairborn reopens after semitrailer blows tire, crashes into creek

UPDATE @ 9:19 p.m.: I-675 North has reopened.

UPDATE @ 6:55 p.m.:

About 150 gallons of fuel spilled into a creek after a flatbed semitrailer crashed into a creek off I-675 North in Fairborn, officials said.

The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and Dayton hazmat teams worked quickly to ensure that diesel fuel didn’t travel to a nearby wetlands reserve. They put down oil booms to soak up the fuel.

At least one of the semitrailer’s tanks ruptured in the crash, Fairborn fire Lt. John Sands said, and it was impossible to tell if the other tank had failed as well because it was buried in mud.

He estimated that about 150 gallons of fuel spilled.

>> VIDEO: Stivers fight sends medics, police to Dayton School 

As the semitrailer was pulled from the creek, it was still leaking fuel.

Sands said bystanders helped the driver out of the creek. The driver was taken to Soin Medical Center, suffering from lower leg injuries.

The biggest challenges in dealing with the crash was ensuring the driver and responders were safe on the interstate.

“The interstate is a pretty dangerous place for us,” Sands said.

Fairborn police also responded to the scene.

UPDATE @ 5 p.m.:

A flatbed semitrailer blew a tire before riding the guardrail, going over an embankment and dropping 20 feet into a creek, officials said.

The vehicle was carrying at least 100 gallons of diesel fuel, which is leaking into the creek. Hazmat teams have arrived.

The driver was taken to Soin Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, officers said.

>> County tells township to remove lighted stop signs 


I-675 North is shut down near state Route 235 in Fairborn because of a semitrailer that has crashed into a ravine and possibly into a creek.

Fairborn police/fire dispatchers indicated that while the southbound lanes of I-675 are open, drivers should expect traffic delays.

Scanner traffic indicates hazmat teams have been called to the scene.

Dispatchers said they were not aware of any injuries in the crash, which was reported about 4:12 p.m.

We have a crew on the way and we will update this developing report as we learn more.