breaking news


New charges in feces-slinging court appearance

Published: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 @ 9:58 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 23, 2016 @ 9:55 AM

Ricky Hand allegedly threw feces during his Clark County sentencing. He pleaded not guilty to charges of retaliation and harassment with a bodily fluid. He could be facing 4 to 6 more years in prison for the outburst.

UPDATE @ 9:55 a.m. (June 23):

Ricky Hand, the Springfield man who threw feces in a Clark County courtroom Wednesday, will be back in court.

An investigation is underway into a breakdown in Clark County Common Pleas court protocol that allowed Hand to sneak his own feces into the courtroom and throw it at people.

Content Continues Below

Ricky Hand, 46, of Springfield, was being sentenced for a series of armed robberies Wednesday and hid bottles full of bodily fluids in his pants to smuggle them into the courtroom, said Clark County Sheriff Gene Kelly. Hand should have been checked before being allowed before a judge, Kelly said.

“If we would have followed our procedures and policies this would not have happened,” Kelly said.

Hand pleaded guilty earlier this month to a string of armed robberies. Police said he robbed more than a dozen business, many with a weapon.

Wednesday he first apologized for the crime spree and told Common Pleas Judge Richard O’Neill he was fueled by his drug addiction.

“I need help with the core of my problem, and that’s drugs,” Hand said.

Hand was facing a possible 52 years in prison for his guilty pleas to seven of the original 30 charges for which a Clark County grand jury indicted him.

O’Neill sentenced Hand to 40 years in prison for the crimes, and then Hand appeared to get upset. He looked repeatedly at his lawyer asking “40 years?”

Then Hand interrupted the judge. “Did you just give me 40 years, sir?”

When the judge replied “Yes,” Hand stood up and pulled a bottle from his pants, flinging the contents that hit his defense lawyer. Court deputies and a Springfield Police Division officer quickly tackled Hand.

The bottle contained Hand’s feces and urine, he told investigators. He had four bottles hidden when he went into court, Kelly said.

Hand told detectives he hid bottles of his own feces and urine in bottles his cell for weeks, then put them in his pants before he was taken to the courtroom.

The liquids hit his lawyer and four deputies during the attack, investigators said.

Clark County Sheriff’s Office protocol states any defendants escorted by deputies to court are to be checked before they enter the court and before they leave court.

“It’s very clear and our policies I believe are very strong,” Kelly said.

Deputies have been told to review the policies and an internal investigation into what went wrong is ongoing, the sheriff said.

Hand was back in court Thursday morning to face five new charges of harassment with a bodily substance.

Hand allegedly used a gun in 11 of the 13 business crimes he committed, according to court documents.

He admitted to police he broke into or robbed a variety of businesses across the city, including drive-thrus, bars, a nail salon and restaurants like Burger King and Long John Silvers, investigators said.

UPDATE @ 5:56 p.m. (June 22): Ricky Hand now faces an additional charges in the feces-slinging incident.

The charges include five counts harassment with bodily substance — one for his attorney and four deputies; obstructing official business; and retaliation. He will be in Clark County Municipal Court on Thursday.

Hand had four water bottles concealed in his arm sling and pants that he admitted were full of his urine and feces.

In another development, an investigation has begun into the breakdown in Common Pleas Court that allowed Hand to sneak bodily fluid and substance into the room.

Hand should have been checked before being allowed before a judge, Sheriff Gene Kelly said.

EARLIER REPORT

A man who was being sentenced for a string of robberies across Springfield threw feces during his sentencing this morning.

Ricky Hand concealed the feces on his person and threw it after he was sentenced to 40 years in prison for his role in the robberies.

Hand faced 30 charges of breaking and entering, safe-cracking, aggravated robbery, abduction and attempted safe-cracking, in April, according to court records. He pleaded guilty to seven of the original charges in a Clark County Common Pleas courtroom earlier this month.

Hand previously served prison time.

On Oct. 2011, Hand pleaded guilty in a robbery case and was sentenced to four years in prison for the crime, according to Clark County court records.

He was out of prison and on parole for less than six months before his last crime spree started in January of this year.

In court Wednesday, Hand interrupted the judge before the outburst.

“Did you just give me 40 years, sir? You just gave me 40 years…. Well guess what?” Hand said and then reached for something in a sling he was wearing.

He pulled out the feces and threw it, hitting his defense lawyer. He was then tackled by deputies in the court, where he told them he had multiple bottles of the feces hidden on his body.

The sergeant in charge of court deputies said it was not protocol to pat down defendants as they are brought to court from the Clark County Jail, because they are coming straight from their jail cells. The sergeant said that will likely change after this outburst.

Prosecutors said they will review evidence from the courtroom and Hand could face more charges for the court disruption.

Hand is currently booked in the Clark County Jail awaiting his transfer to the Ohio Department of Corrections.

DOWNLOAD OUR FREE NEWS APPS FOR THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS

Trending - Most Read Stories

Family confronts Dayton police during man’s arrest, prompts ‘Signal 99’ call for assistance

Published: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 6:42 PM
Updated: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 2:07 AM

Signal 99 issued in Dayton, indicating officer needs assistance

UPDATE @ 9:35 p.m.

A 23-year-old Dayton man is jailed on felony drug and weapons charges.

Jason M. Herron is in the Montgomery County Jail following his arrest at 7:30 p.m. in the 200 block of West Parkwood Drive. He was booked on suspicion of carrying concealed weapons, having weapons under disability and drug possession, all felonies, in addition to a misdemeanor drug possession charge, online jail records show.

Content Continues Below

>> Body camera video details fatal stabbing, shooting in Butler County

Jason M. Herron(MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Dayton Municipal Court.

UPDATE @ 7:25 p.m.

Family members confronting police officers after they took an armed man to the ground during an arrest prompted a “Signal 99” call for officers in need of urgent assistance.

The incident began when officers tried make a traffic stop, but the vehicle fled, Dayton police Sgt. Ryan Halburnt said.

>> Ex-political candidate indicted for actions during Springboro police stop

Shortly afterward, they found the vehicle but its passenger, a man in his 20s, had bailed on foot, the sergeant said.

“(Police) started canvassing the neighborhood looking for the suspect that had run from the traffic stop and found the gentleman walking down the 200 block of West Parkwood Avenue. Officers made contact with him and he began to actively resist the police, which forced them to go to the ground,” he said.

Officers found a loaded firearm in the suspect’s waistband and a large amount of drugs in his pocket, Halburnt said.

“As the officers were arresting him the family members, which were a few houses away, saw what was happening and came out to confront the officer, which elicited the ‘Signal 99’ officer needs assistance,” Halburnt said.

It is not clear whether the driver was arrested.

UPDATE @ 6:45 p.m.

A fleeing suspect led police to issue a “Signal 99” for an officer in need of urgent assistance.

Backup arrived quickly, but it was not clear what led a suspect to flee.

 It is unclear if the suspect is in custody.

FIRST REPORT

Police issued a “Signal 99” this evening for officers in need of assistance.

The call for urgent help came shortly before 6:30 p.m. to the 200 block of West Parkwood Drive in Dayton.

We have a crew on the way and will update this report as we learn information.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Body cam video: Englewood officer comforts child left behind after pursuit

Published: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 11:45 PM

Officer comforts child left behind during pursuit

An Englewood police officer stopped chasing two suspects to comfort a young boy in the middle of a police chase.

Police said the boy’s grandmother and aunt left him behind July 10 as they tried to escape.

Chases are dangerous for everyone involved, but it’s not very often to see the human side of the decisions made in these tense moments — decisions like the one officer Julie Brownfield made when she stopped chasing the suspects to care for a scared boy, which was captured by her body camera. 

Content Continues Below

RELATED: Shoplifting suspects with child arrested after high-speed chase in Englewood

The chase reached speeds in excess of 75 mph as an officer pursued two women down Hoke Road last week who were accused of shoplifting from an Englewood Walmart store. The Hyundai Tuscon crashed into some weeds following the 90-second chase. 

Two women in the SUV get out and take off on foot. 

“The officer’s natural instinct, typically, is to pursue the suspect,” Engewood police Sgt. Corey Follick said. 

But that’s not what happened. 

Brownfield, a veteran officer of nearly two decades, is about to chase after the women, until she sees a young boy in the vehicle. 

“Come here, sweetie,” she said to him. 

“I’m not pursuing. They left the child behind. I’m with the child,” she told dispatchers. 

The 7-year-old boy was in the vehicle during the chase, and was left behind by his grandmother and aunt. 

“You OK sweetheart, are you hurt?” the officer asks the child while she tries to comfort him. “It’s OK baby OK?” 

Follick, who is Brownfield’s supervisor, said his officer did the right thing. 

“The video speaks for itself, as you can see, she’s very compassionate with the child, probably being a mother herself, that motherly instinct kicked in,” he said. “Even though most police officers’ instinct is to do whatever they need to do to catch the bad guy — bad gals in this situation — this child’s welfare was more important than apprehending the suspects immediately.”

A short time later, other officers were able to catch up with the women using information relayed by Brownfield. 

Officers took the child’s grandmother, 43-year-old Diona Murray, into custody. Murray’s juvenile daughter, the boy’s aunt, also is facing charges, according to a police report. 

Diona Murray(MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

Follick said navigating that entire situation wasn’t easy. 

“She has to de-escalate that situation and calm herself down and then also the child that was involved in this incident, and still she was able to communicate to other officers the suspects’ physical description and which direction they ran,” he said. 

The boy was returned safely to his mother in Trotwood. 

As far as his grandmother, Murray is still behind bars at the Montgomery County Jail, where she is being held on $50,000 bond on suspicion of failure to comply with an order or signal of a police officer, online jail records show.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Ohio AG sues Kelly Heating and Air for second time

Published: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 8:59 PM

Ohio AG files 2nd consumer protection lawsuit against Kelly Heating and Air

The Ohio Attorney General filed a consumer protection lawsuit against Kelly Heating and Air Conditioning for the second time.

AG Mike DeWine said the business, owned by Daniel W. Wells, took money for services never provided.

The last known address for the company — 7616 N. Main St. — is in Clayton where police are getting calls from angry customers.

Content Continues Below

>> Clayton police need public’s help to find theft suspects

Others are trying to track him down there because the business address is still listed online.

One woman who lives on North Main Street by the business said angry people are showing up on her front porch. She even posted a sign on her door.

News Center 7’s Lauren Clark reached Wells by telephone, and asked how customers could contact him. 

>> Can you help Vandalia police ID Speedway robber?

“They can call this number,” he said. “I don’t know why the lady in the house up front is doing what she’s doing. She’s causing all kinds of problems and making all kinds of false allegations about people coming by there.” 

The phone number listed online is 937-469-3889.

This is not the first time Kelly Heating and Air was sued by DeWine. In 2016, a consumer protection lawsuit was filed that alleged shoddy work.

>> Family confronts Dayton police officer during suspect’s arrest, prompt ‘Signal 99’ for officer assistance 

Among allegations in the second consumer protection lawsuit filed last month is that Wells took money for services he never provided. 

“We’re taking this action to protect consumers. We think people should know about the repeated problems customers have had with this operator,” DeWine stated in a release. 

Wells said he is no longer operating as a business.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Man pays for pizza with fake $50 bill; gives driver $1 tip

Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 12:00 AM

Experts explain how to tell the difference between fake and real money
Experts explain how to tell the difference between fake and real money

A Hamilton man was charged with petty theft, a first-degree misdemeanor, and failure to appear on a $2,500 warrant after he allegedly paid for pizza with a fake $50 bill, Middletown police said.

MORE: Police receiving tips, have leads in fatal Middletown shooting

Daniel Gabbard, 24, also had a warrant out of Butler County for larceny and out of Trenton for drug abuse, according to a police report.

Content Continues Below

Middletown police were called to Domino’s Pizza, 606 N. University Blvd., at 10 p.m. Friday on a report of a counterfeit $50 bill.

The manager told police she received an order for three large Hawaiian pizzas and one medium pizza and was told to deliver them to an address on South Broad Street.

The driver was met by a man near the address and told he ordered the pizzas. Another man showed up a few minutes later and paid for the pizzas, the report read. The bill was $33, and after giving $17 in change, and the driver was given a $1 tip. That’s when the driver realized the money allegedly was counterfeit. By that time, the subjects had run away, the report read.

MORE: Teen driver in fatal prom crash previously cited for driving without a license

When police arrived at the house where the subjects were seen running, they spotted two men in the back yard. One subject ran away, the other ran into the house, according to the report. Police said they saw one subject hiding in the kitchen. When a female answered the door, she allowed officers inside.

Police said they saw several Domino’s Pizza boxes and the sticker on a box had a South Broad Street address.

Gabbard at first denied the allegations, but then told officers a friend gave him a fake $50 bill that he used to pay for the pizzas, according to the report. He said he knew the bill was counterfeit and he told officers he used another counterfeit $50 bill earlier in the day at a local Auto Zone store.

Gabbard failed to appear Monday morning for his hearing in Middletown Municipal Court, according to court records.

Trending - Most Read Stories