DP&L is encouraging customers to be safe during extreme hot weather.
DP&L continually monitors power generation, weather conditions and customer usage throughout our 24-county service territory.
They are prepared to meet electricity needs of customers as temperatures rise to above 90 degrees and heat indices are expected to surpass 100 degrees.
Be smart about energy use with these tips:
- Adjust your thermostat by setting it as high as comfortably possible in the summer. The recommended setting is 78 degrees or higher when you are home and higher when you are asleep or away.
- Set air conditioning to "auto" instead of "on" and reduce your energy costs.
- Change or clean filters once a month. Dust and dirt make your unit work harder.
- Vacuum registers and vents regularly.
- Block the sun by closing blinds and shades during the warmest times of the day to keep the heat out and the cool air in.
- Click it off by turning off unnecessary lights and switch to energy-efficient lighting that gives off less heat in your home.
- Circulate by turning off ceiling fans in unoccupied rooms. Fans offer an inexpensive alternative to setting the thermostat to a lower temperatures because fans cool people, not rooms.
- Wait until later in the evening to use heat-producing appliances, like the oven, clothes dryer and dishwasher. Many dryers and dishwashers have times you can set so they turn on hours later.