log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 @ 1:17 PM
Updated: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 @ 2:23 PM
XENIA — A Xenia man is facing charges after he allegedly exposed himself to a 10-year-old girl and committed a sexual act with two dogs on the same day.
Kevin James Pettit, 59, was booked into the Greene County Jail Jan. 19 on charges of public indecency and violating Ohio’s law against bestiality by engaging in sexual conduct with an animal, according to court records.
RELATED: Ohio outlaws sex with animals
The incidents leading to the charges happened on Dec. 20, according to records.
The girl was walking home from the bus stop just before 4 p.m. when Pettit pulled his pants down and showed her his genitals as he stood near a red truck along a fence on South Galloway, according to a police report. The girl then went home and told her parents.
The girl’s parents also told officers that she walks home from the bus stop every day, and Pettit watches her, making her feel threatened, the report said.
Shortly after Pettit exposed himself to the girl, the suspect lured two dogs behind a garage along the same fence line and committed the sex act, according to the report. The suspect denied committing the act with the dogs, but their owners had taken photos of the incident during the act and gave them to police, the report said.
Pettit is due back in court on March 5 for his next hearing.
Until recently Ohio was one of the few states with no bestiality ban on the books. Lawmakers finally approved a bill banning sex with animals in December 2016.
Ohio’s law, which also bans selling animals for sex, took effect last March.
Ohio’s first case under that new law is in Cleveland, where Scott Turner 48, pleaded not guilty last week to a second-degree misdemeanor charge of having sexual contact with an animal. Turner is accused of having oral sex with a dog .
He faces a maximum sentence of 90 days in jail and a $750 fine.
Even with the law in place, animal welfare experts say it can be difficult to get convictions in these the cases.
“Just like children who can’t say what happened to (them), it makes it very difficult to investigate these cases,” said Mark Kumpf, director of the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center, in an earlier interview.
Other stories by Lynn HulseyTweets by LynnHulseyDDN
Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 5:11 PM
DAYTON — One of two juveniles accused of taking a car at gunpoint is in custody after an alert Dayton police detective chased him down.
The foot pursuit occurred Tuesday afternoon in the area of Burwood Avenue and Germantown Street, Sgt. Creigee S. Coleman said, when the detective saw the two juveniles and the car that was stolen earlier in the day.
Police also recovered a gun the juvenile is believed to have thrown to the ground during the foot chase, Sgt. Coleman said.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Death of man found in Springfield park ruled ‘suspicious’
In the robbery that occurred just before 2 p.m., Coleman said, a woman was parked in front of her house when the juveniles approached and asked to borrow her cell phone.
When she refused, the juveniles brandished handguns and took her cell phone, her purse and the car.
"They used guns to intimidate this lady," Sgt. Coleman said. "She was parked in front of her own house, minding her own business."
About 3 p.m., the detective, who had been driving around looking for the stolen car, saw it and the juveniles on Burwood Avenue. They ran. He gave chase and caught the one, who was being interviewed late Tuesday afternoon by the police department's Violent Offenders Unit, Coleman said.
The woman was not injured, he said, but she was frightened.
Sgt. Coleman cautioned people to be aware of their surroundings and to be vigilant at all times.
Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 10:30 AM
Updated: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 1:29 PM
SPRINGFIELD — A man found dead in a Springfield park today has been identified as the father of one of two teenage boys who were tied up in a Huber Heights home invasion early this morning, according to public records and the Clark County Coroner’s Office.
Springfield and Clark County officials say they are investigating the suspicious death of Cedric Holt Jr., a man public records and a 911 call indicate is the father of one of the teens in the Huber Heights home.
Coroner’s officials confirmed Holt’s suspicious death today.
UPDATE @ 3:04 p.m.:
A park worker mowing grass at Virgil Mabra Park in Springfield found a vehicle with the doors open and a person inside near the walking trails at the park, according to a 911 call.
"My partner and I are over here mowing grass at Mabra Park on the south end off of Oakley,” the caller said. "There is an automobile chucked all the way in the back by the walking trails by the Boy Scouts bridge. Doors are open, someone's in there."
The condition of the person reportedly found has not been released by police, however the coroner’s office responded to the park earlier today.
A call to the Clark County Coroner’s Office has not been returned.
Springfield police and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation were on the scene into the afternoon, however police have released no additional information other than an investigation was ongoing.
UPDATE @ 12:31 p.m.:
The coroner’s office has arrived on the scene of a police investigation at Virgil Mabra Park.
Police have yet to release any details on the investigation.
WHAT WE KNOW:— Jenna Lawson WHIO (@JLawsonWHIO) May 22, 2018
Coroner’s office has arrived at Virgil A. Mabra Memorial Park in Springfield.
The park is still closed off to access.
A neighbor said she heard what she thought was 4 gunshots around 12:30 a.m. @whiotv @WHIORadio @springfieldnews pic.twitter.com/OL9LWa00g1
UPDATE @ 11:25 a.m.:
Springfield police have closed off Virgil Mabra Park on West Rose Street in Springfield for an active investigation involving the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
Additional details about the nature of the police investigation have not been released.
We’ll continue to update this page as we learn more.
A police investigation is underway in the area of West Rose Street and Iowa Avenue this morning, according to Springfield police.
Police said officers were in the area around 10:15 a.m.
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation is also on the scene.
Details on the investigation were not immediately available.
Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 5:00 PM
MIDDLETOWN — A threat of deadly violence will close Middletown High School on Wednesday, prematurely ending the school year.
A student tip about a possibly deadly threat appeared serious enough to cancel classes for the high school on what was to be the last day of the school year, Middletown School officials told this news outlet Tuesday.
Superintendent Marlon Styles Jr. declined to reveal the nature of the threat but said Middletown Police, which provides officers in the city school district, was immediately notified and is now investigating the threat to determine who is responsible.
“The threat is specific enough that we believe the safest option for our students and staff is to close the high school (Wednesday),” Styles said.
The threat does not change tonight’s scheduled Middletown High School graduation ceremony at Barnitz Stadium, he said, adding that extra police protection will be in place for ceremony.
All other Middletown schools will hold final day classes and activities on Wednesday as planned.
“Our School Resource Police Officers (SRO) and staff reviewed videotapes and interviewed students and staff. The Butler County School Safety Director and Emergency Management Agency (EMA) are using their resources to scan social media. At Middletown City Schools, we take all threats seriously and we will press charges,” Styles said.
“We have been shown a sign of violence and we will act to keep our schools safe for all students and staff. We are encouraging parents to talk with their sons and daughters and report anything they might know (about the threat) to the Middletown Police Dispatch at 513-425-7700. That call will be kept confidential. As always, the safety and security of our students and staff is our number one priority,” he said.
Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 4:29 PM
Gasper Township — The Gasper Twp. Fire chief, assistant chief, and a third fire employee were terminated from their positions Monday following claims of timecard fraud, according to a township trustee.
Trustees voted to remove Fire Chief Tyler Claybaker, Assistant Chief Andrew Bekemeier, and a third employee Justin Wright after receiving claims they were submitting and approving hours they didn’t work, Gasper Twp. trustee Eric White said.
A current captain with the department, who White did not identify, was promoted to interim chief.
Multiple members of the volunteer staff stormed out of the meeting following the announcement yesterday, White said.
“We’re actually not out of service. Hopefully we’ll be able to fill all our shifts, (but) I don’t think that’ll be a big problem,” White said.