Suspect in hourslong SWAT standoff in Dayton found hiding in attic

DAYTON — UPDATE @ 9:40 p.m.:

A SWAT standoff ended after 9½ hours with one man in custody on numerous charges.

Devin Lamar Washington, 26, was arrested at 5 p.m. at 41 Pointview Ave. in Dayton.

Content Continues Below

The U.S. Marshals Service Southern Ohio Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team (SoFAST) Task Force members arrived at the home at 7:30 a.m. to make an arrest on a felony warrant when the man spotted officers, ran upstairs and barricaded himself in a room, refusing to come out, Dayton police Maj. Brian Johns said.

Devin Lamar Washington
Devin Lamar Washington (MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

SWAT was called in, and they spent hours on scene. Washington still refused to obey dozens of commands to come out. The SWAT team fired tear gas inside, and the man still did not come out.

The SWAT team found Washington hiding inside an attic and arrested him on the warrant. He was taken to a local hospital before he was booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of felony inducing panic and misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest and obstructing official business. He also was booked on a felony domestic violence charges. He is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday in Dayton Municipal Court.

UPDATE @ 6:05 p.m.:

The suspect in an hourslong SWAT standoff in Dayton was found hiding inside the attic of a home on Pointview Avenue.

The suspect’s name has not yet been released, but police said he was wanted on a felony warrant for an incident believed to have happened in Dayton.

The suspect was taken to a local hospital to be checked out before he can be booked into jail.

UPDATE @ 4:10 p.m.:

The hourslong SWAT standoff in Dayton has ended with one person taken into custody, apparently unhurt.

UPDATE @ 3:05 p.m.: 

SWAT units continue to surround a house on Pointview Avenue where a wanted person is believed to be holed up.

Several tear gas canisters have been fired inside the home and a Dayton Police Bomb Squad robot was also deployed.

Officers have yet to provide any details on the status of the investigation.

Our crew remains at the scene and we’ll continue to update this story as details become available.

UPDATE @ 1:50 p.m.:

An hours-long standoff involving SWAT units and police on Pointview Avenue in Dayton continues with officers surrounding the home.

SWAT crews have fired several tear gas canisters and continue to demand a wanted person to come out.

Additional details have not been released. We’ll continue to update this page as we learn more.

UPDATE @ 10:55 a.m.: 

Multiple SWAT officers and members of other law enforcement jurisdictions continue to surround a Pointview Avenue home in Dayton.

SWAT crews have deployed distraction devices inside the home, according to our crew on the scene.

Crews have been on scene since before 7:30 a.m. surrounding the home and demanding a wanted person come out and surrender.

Additional details are not available. We’ll continue to update this page as we learn new details.

Standoff situation began Tuesday morning in neighborhood just off North Main Street
Marshall Gorby/Staff
Marshall Gorby/Staff

UPDATE @ 8:40 a.m.: 

Multiple police units including SWAT crews continue to surround a home on Pointview Avenue in Dayton in an apparent standoff between officers and a wanted suspect holed up inside.

Officers are using a bull horn to attempt to communicate with anyone inside.

Additional details, including what the suspect is wanted for, have not been released.

We’ll continue to update this story as we learn more.

Marshall Gorby/Staff
Marshall Gorby/Staff


We are working to learn more about an active police investigation on Pointview Avenue in Dayton Tuesday morning involving several officers and SWAT units.

Initial reports indicate a wanted suspect is inside a house on the first block of Pointview Avenue and is refusing to come out.

We have a crew on the scene and we’ll update this page as we learn more.