- Police were dispatched to Middle Street Tuesday morning on report of man yelling for help, and dogs barking
- Police report the dog is an adult pit bull who broke loose from a chain
- Officials shot and killed the dog
- Coroner confirms identity of 60-year-old male dog attack victim
DAYTON — The man killed after being mauled by a pit bull Tuesday morning has been identified as 60-year-old Maurice Brown, of Central Avenue in Dayton, according to the Montgomery County Coroner's Office.
Booher said the property owner is in a nursing home. Its unknown if the property owner is the dog owner, however there's evidence people were feeding and caring for four dogs at the residence.
The dog that attacked Brown attacked a rodent before breaking loose from its chain. Police responded to Middle Street Tuesday morning after a neighbor called 9-1-1 and reported he heard someone yelling for help.
The caller told the 9-1-1 dispatcher he heard a man outside yelling for help and crying for about three to five minutes.
"Near Riverview Avenue there's a man outside yelling 'Jesus help me. Help me,'" the caller said to the dispatcher. "Sounds like he's in pain. He's yelling at the top of his lungs. All the dogs are barking."
Potential charges in a fatal dog attack could range from control of animal to felony offenses, but Booher said the prosecutor’s office will be consulted.
"The injuries were pretty severe from the dog itself," Booher said, adding the dog was still attacking the man when officers arrived on scene. "This isn't something that ordinarily happens."
On Tuesday, Dayton police waited on a search warrant to enter a house in the 300 block of Middle Street.
Three dogs were removed from the house after a dog fatally mauled a man walking in an alley behind the house.
DAYTON FATAL DOG ATTACKS
Klonda Richey was mauled by dogs and killed on East Bruce Street on Feb. 7, 2014 when
- DOG MAULING VICTIM FEARED FOR HER LIFE
- MAULING VICTIM LIVED ON HIGH ALERT, SOUGHT HELP
- CORONER IDs WOMAN FATALLY MAULED BY 2 DOGS
- COUPLE CONNECTED TO MAULING OF KLONDA RICHEY IN JAIL
- NO INDICTMENTS IN KLONDA RICHEY DOG MAULING CASE
- MAN CONVICTED IN KLONDA RICHEY DOG MAULING CASE GOING TO PRISON FOR CHILD ABUSE
Kimiko Hardy convicted on manslaughter and other felony charges after her dog fatally mauled her 7-month-old stepgrandson in 2014.
OTHER RELATED CONTENT
Download our free mobile apps for breaking news and weather