No indictments in Klonda Richey dog mauling death

Published: Thursday, September 11, 2014 @ 2:02 PM
Updated: Thursday, September 11, 2014 @ 3:25 PM


            Grand jury gives no felony indictments to dog owners
Grand jury gives no felony indictments to dog owners

UPDATE @2:55 p.m.: 9/11/2014

Andrew Nason, 29, and Julie Custer, 25, are not facing any charges related to a fatal dog mauling.

FIRST REPORT @2 p.m. 9/11/2014

Montgomery County Prosecutor Mat Heck will hold a news conference today in relation to the Klonda Richey dog mauling case.

Richey, 57, was attacked outside of her home at 31 E. Bruce Ave. in the early morning hours of Feb. 7 by two mixed mastiff dogs. The dogs were registered to Julie Custer, 25, who lived at 35 E. Bruce Ave. with the homeowner, Andrew Nason, 29.

When police responded to the report of Richey's body, they were charged by the dogs, who were shot and killed.

Police took Custer and Nason into custody while executing a search warrant after the attack. They were held in Montgomery County jail, pending possible charges of reckless homicide. They were released two days later without charges being filed.

Richey, who worked for Montgomery County Children Services and lived with about 20 cats, sought protection from the dogs and her neighbors for months before her death, according to records obtained by this newspaper from the county and courts.

In total, 13 complaints were filed with the Animal Resource Center and another 46 calls were made to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center related to Nason's home between Dec. 27, 2011, and Richey's death on Feb. 7.

Most of the Animal Resource Center calls were anonymous but 23 of the calls to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center were from Richey or associated with Richey's phone number. The majority of the calls were about the dogs at the Nason house, but other calls included complaints about juveniles, fireworks and other activity.

Richey was ultimately denied a civil stalking protection order in April 2013.

OSP cruiser hit in Dayton after I-75N pursuit from Middletown

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 12:01 AM
Updated: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 2:21 AM

Pursuit ends on Keowee St in Dayton

A trooper’s cruiser was struck Wednesday night in Dayton during a pursuit that began in Middletown.

The chase involved a white Chevrolet Camaro, which began on northbound Interstate 75 south of exit 32 (Ohio 122).

>> Report: Thousands in jewelry stolen from Rogers Jewelers in Middletown

Three people were taken into custody, and the trooper was not hurt, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol’s Hamilton Post.

>> Local news: Shots fired, 3 injured in crash on Germantown Street in Dayton

Keowee Street was closed just north of Third Street and police had taped the area off for the investigation.

A Miamisburg man said he was in his vehicle at East Third and Keowee streets when a white Camaro — its headlights out — raced by him from behind.

>> Police: 9-year-old boy brings loaded handgun to school

T.C. Cavinder said the sports car narrowly missed his and another vehicle, hit curbs along Keowee and stopped near a bridge. A man in the Camaro hopped out and threw up his hands, Cavinder said.

We are working to find out what led to the pursuit.

Convicted rapist won't have joint custody of victim's child after judge rescinds ruling

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 1:49 AM

Woman’s Rapist Gets Joint Custody Of Child He Fathered In Assault

The Michigan judge behind a controversial ruling last month, which granted a convicted sex offender joint legal custody to the child conceived by his 12-year-old victim in 2008, has rescinded his decisionCBS News reports.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Woman’s rapist gets joint custody of child he fathered in assault

Sanilac County Judge Gregory Ross ruled Tuesday that 27-year-old Christopher Mirasolo will not have any parental rights to the 8-year-old boy. However, he will still be expected to pay for child support.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Lawyer: Rapist granted joint custody of boy he fathered will not seek visitation

Mirasolo was not seeking custody of the child. This odd scenario started when the mother, now 21, sought state assistance for her son. Ross ruled for joint legal custody after a DNA test verified Mirasolo was the boy’s biological father.

>> On Rare.us: In wake of #MeToo, men are vowing to make changes with hashtag of their own

Why did Ross initially grant Mirasolo legal custody? John Nevin, a spokesman for the Michigan Supreme Court, said that Ross wasn’t aware of Mirasolo’s two convictions, nor of how he and the mother were connected. After learning of Mirasolo’s record, Ross put the order on hold and rescheduled a hearing for Tuesday.

In a statement released to the Port Huron Times Herald, Sanilac County Prosecutor James Young said he wanted to “express [officials’] apologies for the manner in which this case was handled.”

>> Read more trending news 

The mother, identified only as Tiffany, spoke to CBS News earlier this month and expressed dismay that the judge would grant her attacker joint custody of her son. She said she had to provide the father’s name as a condition of receiving state financial assistance.

“I was receiving government assistance, and they told me if I did not tell them who the father was of my child, that they would take that away from me,” Tiffany said.

She said “horrible things” and “flashbacks” still come to mind when she hears Mirasolo’s name.

Police: 9-year-old boy brings loaded handgun to Middletown school

Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 6:14 PM

A 9-year-old boy who said he was being picked on brought a loaded handgun to school.

A teacher at Rosa Parks Elementary School on Monday morning noticed a bulge in the boy’s pants pocket. When she reached for it, the third-grader grabbed her arm, Middletown police Lt. David Birk said.

“The teacher confiscated the gun, gave it to the SRO (school resource officer) and the incident was reported to police,” Middletown City Schools spokeswoman Elizabeth Beadle said.

The incident happened at 10:40 a.m. inside a classroom at the school, 2210 Verity Parkway, Middletown.

>>Middletown woman fires gun into air as break-in suspects flee home

The boy was taken to the Butler County Juvenile Justice Center, where he is being held on suspicion of felonious assault, conveyance of a weapon into the school and carrying a concealed weapon, Birk said.

Beadle would not provide information on what discipline the student could face, citying privacy laws.

The boyfriend of the boy's mother also was arrested on suspicion of child endangering, according to a Middletown police report. Jerron Dean, 29, had his arraignment continued to Nov. 1, according to online Middletown Municipal Court records.

(Staff Writer Michael Clark contributed to this report)

Fire in vacant Dayton dwelling ‘suspicious in nature,’ district chief says

Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 6:52 PM
Updated: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 9:21 PM

An investigator has been called to a fire in the 2800 block of Salem Avenue, at Parkhill Drive, in a dwelling believed to be vacant.

UPDATE @ 9:15 p.m.: The fire in a vacant dwelling in the 2800 block of Salem Avenue is being investigated as “suspicious in nature,” Dayton Fire District Chief Tim Rose said. 

The building, at Parkhill Drive, was boarded up and 30 firefighters successfully prevented flames from damaging two adjacent properties, Rose said. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Area Puerto Rican group collects aid for island

An investigator was called because witnesses told fire crews that people were seen in the area of the dwelling. 

There were no injuries, Rose said. "We sent nobody in the building." 

He estimated damage to the structure at $40,000.

INITIAL REPORT

An investigator has been called to a fire in the 2800 block of Salem Avenue, at Parkhill Drive, in a dwelling believed to be vacant.

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Boy, 9, brings loaded gun to school

Dayton crews were dispatched just before 6 p.m. on a report that flames were said to be showing from a two-story dwelling. 

We're hearing that crews went to a defensive posture, allowing the structure to burn, because it was vacant. 

We will update this report as information becomes available. 

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com