Coroner IDs woman fatally mauled by 2 dogs

Published: Friday, February 07, 2014 @ 9:05 AM
Updated: Friday, February 07, 2014 @ 8:15 PM


            2 people in custody after dog fatally mauls woman
2 people in custody after dog fatally mauls woman

Two people are under arrest in the death of a Dayton woman fatally mauled by two mixed-breed dogs Friday morning.

Dayton police were called to 31 E. Bruce Ave. shortly after 8 a.m. after receiving a report of a naked person on the sidewalk. When officers arrived, they discovered the body of the woman whose coat had been torn off. They also found two male dogs who charged, prompting officers to shoot and kill the animals.

Friday evening, the Montgomery County Coroner's Office identified the victim as Klonda S. Richey, 57. An autopsy is scheduled for Saturday morning.

The attack is believed to be the third fatal incident in 17 months in Montgomery County involving dogs and people.

Richey worked for the county for 25 years. An employee with the Montgomery County Job & Family Services' Administrative Services Division, she worked at the Haines Children's Center on North Main Street. In the wake of Friday's attack, Montgomery County Animal Control Resource Center officers removed 20 cats, which were well cared for, from Richey's home.

Complaints about the dogs had been made before. According to Mark Kumpf, Animal Resource Center director, there were nine earlier complaints about the dogs. The Dayton Daily News and News Center 7 requested the public records, but they were not available Friday.

Following the attack, police took Andrew Nason, 28, and Julie Custer, 25, into custody while executing a search warrant at 35 E. Bruce Ave., the home next door to the victim's. Nason and Custer each are being held on a charge of reckless homicide, pending the filing of formal charges.

Kumpf described the dogs as mixed-Mastiff breeds and believes each of the dogs weighed up to 60 pounds. It is unclear what the mix of the dogs is but Kumpf said he believes they are part Cane Corso.

A search of county dog license owners shows there are three dogs licensed and living in the same block as the victim. Two of those dogs, described as mixed breeds -- one tan, one red -- belong to Custer.

It is believed that the county has had three deaths related to dog attacks since 2001, according to Ken Betz, director of the Montgomery County Coroner's Office. Two of those attacks occurred in separate incidents in 2012 and involved the deaths of a 76-year-old woman mauled by a Cane Corso and a 93-year-old female mauled by a Boston terrier. The third death occurred in 2001 after a 3-day-old boy was mauled by a German shepherd.

The coroner's office, in its records, does not list "dog bite" as a cause of death, Betz said.

The state does not keep track of dog bite-related fatalities, said Joanne Midla, public health veterinarian for the Ohio Department of Health. Nationally, the number of dog bite-related fatalities has ranged from 31 to 34 during the last five years, according to the National Canine Research Council.

Kumpf said any large breed dog has the potential to seriously injure or kill a person.

"Anybody who encounters a dog that they're not familiar with should try and back away from the situation," Kumpf said. "If they are not able to do so, one of the things that we recommend is that they make themselves a smaller target as possible."

News Center 7 Reporter John Bedell contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

WATCH: Security camera captures two men who terrified kids home alone

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 5:43 PM

WATCH: Home secuirty cameras help police close attempted burglary case in Dayton.

It’s any parents, and kids, worst nightmare. Strangers, trying to bust down the front door of a dayton home, just minutes after parents left for work, and their 11-year-old kids home alone.

TRENDING: Students charged with felony crimes amid rash of local school threats

Dayton police have opened an investigation. A security camera on a neighbor’s house on holly avenue in dayton captured the faces of two men, wearing lanyards, going door to door. They avoided homes with visible security cameras.

TRENDING: Family member arrested after two burned in house fire

They moved on to the house where two kids were home alone. They began banging on the front door for approximately ten minutes, according to a Dayton Police report. Then the men began thrusting their shoulders against the door.

WATCH: Security camera captures two men who terrified kids home alone

"When you do that to our front door, our whole house shakes, so our kids were pretty upset,” said Christina Baine, the children’s mother. 

Her two kids never approached or opened the door, just as they were taught.

“After a few times of doing that, he did retreat and leave," added Baine. 

Surveillance video is the best lead police have to go on right now. We’ve blurred their faces because they have not been charged with a crime. When we showed the video to neighbors along Holly Avenue, the remembered the men walking the sidewalks and thought they looked suspicious.

Now the Baine family has installed its own security cameras. 

WHIO’s Kate Bartley will continue following this story. Follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

If you have information regarding the suspicious activity on Holly Ave., contact Dayton Police at 333-COPS.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Teen charged in connection with crash that killed Greenon student

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 1:34 PM

A 16-year-old Greenon High School student was killed Sunday in a car crash in Enon — the third student in the district to die in a fatal accident this school year.

A Greenon High School student has been charged in connection with a crash that killed another student in October.

Andrew J. Scott, 16, faces charges of vehicular homicide and vehicular manslaughter in Clark County Juvenile Court.

Teen charged in connection with crash that killed Greenon student

RELATED: Greenon mourns 3rd student death in 2 months in fatal car crashes

Kendal “Kenny” DePhillip, a junior, died while a passenger in a car that crashed shortly before 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 17, on Fowler Road between Rebert Pike and Broadway Road in Clark County.

Scott allegedly went off the right side of the road, clipped a telephone pole and then hit another pole, Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers said. Scott sustained non-life threatening injuries, troopers said.

DETAILS: Teens killed in car crashes remembered, reminder of safety needs

DePhillip was the third Greenon student to die in a fatal crash last fall in a few months. His death followed a crash in August that killed David Waag and Connor Williams, both Greenon students.

Trending - Most Read Stories

NEW DETAILS: Owner, one of two killed in auto dealership shooting, served in military

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 3:19 PM


            Frank D. Buck
Frank D. Buck

The auto dealership owner found shot to death inside his business on Monday was a U.S. Army Vietnam War veteran who loved horses and cars, according to an online obituary.

Frank D. Buck, 71, and his friend, Lester Golson, 59, were both found dead of apparent gunshot wounds inside of Buck-I Auto Sales after what Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies said was a struggle involving a gun.

Investigators were not searching for anyone after the shooting, believing that the incident was “contained” inside the dealership at 2801 N. Dixie Drive.

RELATED: Two men shot to death on North Dixie Drive were friends

Buck operated his car dealership for more than 30 years, the obit said. Services were pending at Newcomer North Chapel, 4104 Needmore Rd. The obit said contributions to help pay for expenses can be made through the funeral home’s website.

Buck is survived by his children, Shelly Buck, Laura Hurst, Candace Buck and Frank DJ Buck, six grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, ex-wife Penny Buck and many relatives and friends, according to Buck’s obituary.

“My father was a loving man would do anything in the world for just about anybody, he was loved by a lot he was always smiling, laughing, and joking around,” Candace Buck told this news organization earlier this week. “My condolences are with the Golson family during this very hard time.”

FIRST REPORT: 2 men found shot to death inside auto dealership

Golson’s obituary is not yet available. Efforts to get comment from his family or friends have been unsuccessful.

Buck-I Auto Sales was broken into Jan. 5, 2016, according to a sheriff’s incident report that said one of the windows in an overhead door was smashed.

A friend, not Golson, of Buck’s who was watching the business while Buck was out of town called police. That report said there were no surveillance cameras on the property.

Nearly three weeks later from the first incident, another report said a car was stolen but recovered from the Jan. 5, 2016 crime and that it appeared that the dealership was vandalized again as part of an effort to steal a car. A different stolen car was located in November 2016, according to sheriff’s office incident reports.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

“It is my understanding Mr. Buck was putting up cameras,” a Jan. 23, 2016 report read, adding that there were no suspects and no leads.

A woman who tried to get into the business Monday and saw one man point a gun at another then called 911 to report that she saw people get into a “tussle” before she heard three gunshots.

LISTEN: The 911 call about the North Dixie shooting

In the sometimes frantic 6-minute call at 1:22 p.m., the woman said, “I was trying to get to my car and get to the phone to call the police then I heard gunshots.”

Deputies investigating the shootings earlier this week did not locate any surveillance cameras at the property.

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office on Thursday said the two men’s cause and manner of death were still listed as “pending” due to the ongoing investigation.

LISTEN: The 911 call about the North Dixie shooting

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Trending - Most Read Stories

Father intentionally killed 5-year-old son, police say

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 11:54 AM

Police: 5-Year-Old Son Intentionally Killed By Father

father is in custody after police say he intentionally killed his 5-year-old son at a DeKalb County, Georgia, home Wednesday night.

>> Read more trending news

It was not immediately clear what led to the homicide or how the boy was killed.

According to police, the child lived at a home on Rocky Pine Drive in Lithonia with his grandmother. His parents drove from California for an unannounced visit Wednesday, authorities said.

The boy’s mother and grandmother left the home, returned and “learned that the child had been murdered,” police spokeswoman Shiera Campbell told WSBTV.

Three other children were inside the home at the time of the killing, but were not injured, the news station reported. 

Police have not released the names of the father and child.

"Right now, the father is in custody,” Campbell said. “He is a 25-year-old male.” 

Authorities continued to investigate the incident Thursday.

Trending - Most Read Stories