Greenville First Assembly of God,

Storm Tracking...

Latest Weather

Weather Alert

Hours-long standoff in Dayton ends with man, wanted by Piqua police, in jail

Published: Monday, February 04, 2019 @ 11:17 AM
Updated: Monday, February 04, 2019 @ 7:50 PM

A man who Dayton police believe is barricaded inside a house on Rugby Road has a warrant out for his arrest for an incident in Piqua, according to investigators.

UPDATE @ 9:40 p.m.: Robert Foster, 37, wanted by Piqua police on a charge of aggravated burglary, is in the Montgomery County Jail pending the formal filing of at least one new charge out of Dayton.

The new charge, which the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office will have to approve, is felony inducing panic. The Miami County Sheriff’s Office also has a detainee order on Foster, which will keep him in jail.

Foster, with his hands held high, slowly walked backward out of the house in the 2300 block of Rugby Road about 6:45 p.m. to end a standoff with Dayton police, SWAT and hostage negotiation teams that lasted nearly eight hours.

Content Continues Below

TRENDING: Student in custody after threatening to bring gun to Xenia High School 

Dayton Police Lt. Eric Sheldon said Piqua police called Dayton about 10:45 a.m. on a report of a wanted subject at the address on Rugby.

Police and a SWAT team surrounded the house after Foster ran inside, locked the door, and barricaded himself.

Three people in the house were safely removed before crews used bull horns and fired tear gas into the house, demanding Foster come out, the lieutenant said.

Marshall Gorby/Staff

Sheldon said police are unsure why Foster chose the house on Rugby, but believe he has relatives there.

Once the standoff ended, police worked quickly to restore the neighborhood to some relative calm, he said.

Foster is facing an aggravated burglary charge in Piqua stemming from a Jan. 27 incident, Piqua police confirmed.

Sheldon said he could not comment on the Piqua case.

We will update this report as information becomes available.