MENDON — Firefighters in Mercer County spent roughly four hours on scene of a fire on Thanksgiving day.
The fire was reported between 2-2:30 p.m. in the 7800 block of Denny Road.
Mendon Fire Chief Darrell Etgen told our news partners at WCSM in Celina that crews were called out on reports of a structure fire.
When crews arrived on scene, a double-wide modular home and a couple of vehicles were on fire. Then a propane tank exploded.
“It actually exploded, knocking one of the firemen off the pump handle,” Etgen told WCSM.
That firefighter was taken to an area hospital with minor injuries.
Video sent to our newsroom by a News Center 7 iWitness, showed the explosion and large fire ball.
While on scene, the wind continued to blow the smoke back toward crews.
Roughly 20 fire trucks and 50 firefighters were on scene to get the fire under control.
The homeowner told crews he was burning trash when the grass caught on fire. That fire then spread to the home.
We’ll update this story as we learn more.
©2022 Cox Media Group