DMAX resumes production, makes security changes after plant shooting last week

MORAINE — The DMAX plant in Moraine has reopened four days after a deadly shooting at the plant.

“DMAX-Moraine has resumed full production operations effective Monday, May 22, 2023. All employees and support departments should report to their regularly scheduled shifts,” a spokesperson announced Monday morning.

>> PHOTOS: 1 dead, 2 injured including suspected shooter at Moraine DMAX plant

News Center 7 was there Monday as workers returned to work. Our team saw workers being met by a group of people standing at tables set up in front of the entrance. There, employees were placing bags down on the tables to be searched.

Then our team saw some people raising their hands and spinning. Some even had to lift their shirts to expose their waistband before entering the plant.

When News Center 7 reached out to General Motors, which owns the plant, a spokesperson said they’ve implemented “100 percent bag inspections” for everyone entering the facility until further notice. They have also increased patrols.

The plant had been closed since Thursday night when a man entered the plant and opened fire, shooting two people and killing one of them, 28-year-old Jeffrey Allen III.

A preliminary investigation confirmed that the suspect and both victims are/were employees at DMAX Moraine.

>> PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Police identify victim of shooting at DMAX plant in Moraine; Suspect in critical condition

According to Moraine Police Sgt. Andrew Parish, investigators have also determined that the suspect and Allen were involved in a “domestic-related feud” over another female employee and that the suspect shot Allen during an altercation inside the facility.

“During an altercation between the two males last night, the suspect produced a semiautomatic handgun and shot and killed Mr. Allen,” Parish said.

The suspect, who has not been identified, was quickly located by first-responding officers. Police said he suffered an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound and was taken to an area hospital. Parish noted he was “alert and conscious.” Police said Monday that he remains in critical condition. He has not been formally charged at this time.

The other shooting victim suffered a non-life-threatening injury.

Comments on this article