1 deputy killed, another injured in 12-hour long standoff in Clermont County

PIERCE TWP., Clermont County — One deputy was killed and a second was treated and released after they were shot during a 12-hour standoff at an apartment complex in Clermont County near Cincinnati that ended Sunday morning.

PREVIOUS REPORT: 1 deputy killed, another injured in standoff near Cincinnati

Detective Bill Brewer, a 20-year veteran of the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office was identified as the deputy killed during the standoff at The Green at Royal Oak Apartments that started Saturday night, the sheriff’s office said in a media release.

Lt. Nick DeRose, a 22-year veteran of the sheriff’s office was injured in the standoff but was treated and released from a Cincinnati-area hospital, officials said.

The suspect, who was identified as Wade Edward Winn, 23, was taken into custody around 6:30 a.m. after SWAT moved in and he surrendered.

Deputies and SWAT crews "endured a barrage of gunfire, generated by Winn" before he was taken into custody, officials said in the media release.  

“Fran and I are heartbroken to learn about the death of Officer Bill Brewer and injury to Officer Nick DeRose in the line of duty,” Governor Mike DeWine said on his Facebook page Sunday.

DeWine has ordered that all U.S. and Ohio flags at public buildings and grounds in Clermont County and at the Ohio Statehouse be flown at half-staff.

Crews were dispatched to the apartment complex on St. Andrews Drive around 10:30 p.m. Saturday after receiving reports of an armed person who was barricaded in the unit and was feeling suicidal, the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office

Several shots were fired during the standoff by Winn, including the first shots around 10:40 p.m. Saturday that hit both Brewer and DeRose, according to officials.

“Deputy Brewer gave his life attempting to help a person who was admittedly suicidal. This will forever change the atmosphere of the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office,” Clermont County Sheriff Steve Leahy said in the media release.

“This Officer’s valor is now recorded for all time, written in blood,” Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost said in a separate media release Sunday morning.

“We mourn, and we will remember,” Yost said.

Deputies told WCPO-TV no shots were fired back by deputies during the standoff, but a flash-bang grenade was used shortly before midnight.

Ohio Fraternal Order of Police President Gary Wolske issued this statement:

“The members of the Ohio Fraternal Order of Police join law enforcement officers from across the country in mourning the loss of Clermont County Deputy Nick Brewer.

Deputy Brewer went on duty understanding the risks of the job and died a hero’s death on the front line trying to end an extremely dangerous stand off. We can never repay his service, but we can honor him by remembering always his sacrifice.

Please join us in praying for the Deputy’s family, law enforcement colleagues and Deputy Nick DeRose who was also injured and is in stable condition.”

We’ll continue to update this story as we learn more.