DEVELOPING:


Dayton fast food workers threatened with knife

Published: Sunday, February 18, 2018 @ 8:06 PM

FILE - This Oct. 21, 2016, file photo shows a Burger King restaurant logo in Philadelphia. Burger King has delivered its own hot take on a regulatory showdown that has enflamed the U.S., with a flame-grilled Whopper. The new ad has become a sensation, with more than a million views and counting on YouTube. In the ad, customers are told they will be charged different prices for a Whopper, depending on how fast they want it.
AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File
FILE - This Oct. 21, 2016, file photo shows a Burger King restaurant logo in Philadelphia. Burger King has delivered its own hot take on a regulatory showdown that has enflamed the U.S., with a flame-grilled Whopper. The new ad has become a sensation, with more than a million views and counting on YouTube. In the ad, customers are told they will be charged different prices for a Whopper, depending on how fast they want it.(AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

Police here are investigating after a man with a knife threatened Burger King workers. 

The incident happened at the Burger King, 1401 N. Keowee Street, around 8:50 p.m. Saturday. 

Panhandler gets 20 cents, followed by court summons from police

Dayton police are investigating the aggravated menacing complaint after workers said a man in the drive-through window was waving a knife and yelling about chicken tenders.

The female worker told police a man was screaming at the intercom and she could not understand him. When he pulled up to the window, he screamed obscenities at the woman and was yelling about wanting chicken tenders. 

The worker shut the window to the drive-through and reported the behavior to her manager, whom called police.

The suspect told the two workers, “I will cut you,” before speeding off.

The case remains under investigation.

Trending - Most Read Stories

ODH issues statewide community outbreak of hepatitis A

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 5:34 PM

Thirty one cases have been reported in Ohio.

The Ohio Department of Health declared a statewide community outbreak of hepatitis A Friday evening, with 79 hepatitis A cases associated with the outbreak so far this year.

As of June 1, there were 11 cases of hepatitis A in Montgomery County. In 2017 there was one case, and none were reported in 2016, Public Health - Dayton & Montgomery County reported.

>> Amazon offers new delivery option to Ohio apartment dwellers

Hepatitis A is a vaccine-preventable liver disease that usually spreads when a person ingests fecal matter — even in microscopic amounts — from contact with objects, food, or drinks contaminated by the stool of an infected person. Hepatitis A also can spread from close personal contact with an infected person, such as through sex, according to the ODH.

Symptoms of hepatitis A include fatigue, low appetite, stomach pain, nausea, clay-colored stools and jaundice. People with hepatitis A can experience mild illness lasting a few weeks to a severe illness lasting several months.

>> This group has the best Airbnb rating performance in Ohio (and is making good money, too)

“Good hand-washing and vaccination are the best ways to prevent hepatitis A in at-risk individuals,” said Sietske de Fijter, state epidemiologist and chief of the ODH Bureau of Infectious Diseases. “If you or someone you know has one or more risk factors for hepatitis A, call your local health department to see about getting vaccinated.”

ODH has provided more than 5,000 doses of hepatitis A vaccine to local health departments.

>> Man convicted of rape cleared by DNA, released from Ohio prison

Declaring a hepatitis A outbreak ensures ODH access to additional hepatitis A vaccine through the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the ODH said.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Retired Troy firefighter, and now a co-defendant, accused in rape case

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 7:08 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:50 AM

Retired Troy firefighter arrested for rape, son arrested hours later

UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m. (June 22): A retired Troy firefighter and a co-defendant remain in jail on a rape charge, while the former firefighter's son also remains in jail on a weapons charge. 

Jeffrey Paul Covault, 48, had his bond set at $200,000 cash on a single count of rape. His plea of not guilty was taken this morning. 

Thomas Perkins Jr., 54, identified as a co-defendant in the rape case, had his bond set at $200,000 as well. According to authorities, Perkins worked for Jeffrey Paul Covault's lawn care business. 

Aaron Jacob Covault, 24, had his bond set at $22,000 cash during his court appearance via video in Miami County Municipal Court. 

He is detained in the Miami County Jail on charges of weapon possession as a felon (a felony) and weapons possession while intoxicated (a misdemeanor).

Aaron Jacob Covault, left, and Jeffrey Paul Covault

The elder Covault and Perkins are accused of engaging in sexual conduct with an intoxicated 21-year-old woman on March 2, in the parking lot of The Vault, on North County Road 25A, county Prosecutor Tony Kendell said. According to the indictment, the victim was impaired because of a mental or physical condition and the alleged perpetrators had cause of know of that impairment.

Common Pleas Judge Christopher Gee issued a “no contact order” for the elder Covault and Perkins, meaning they are to have no contact with the alleged victim or with each other.

The elder Covault worked as a Troy firefighter/paramedic from May 1996 until he retired April 1, according to city personnel records.

A criminal records check shows he has been convicted for operating a vehicle under the influence in 2011 and for disorderly conduct in 2012.

The father and son were arrested hours apart Thursday from the same home, a residence in the 700 block of County Road 25A, north of Troy.

Aaron Jacob Covault, was arrested at the same address hours after his father was taken into custody. Police said the younger Covault was upset over the arrest of his father and discharged a gun.

>> TRENDING: Kettering officer-involved shooting: Man shot by officer, gun recovered

There were no report of injuries.

>> Suspect in Seattle homicide arrested in raid in Dayton

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Woman accused of leaving 8-week-old puppy in hot car in Springfield

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 1:21 PM

A collection of crime stories from SNS.

A Fairborn woman is charged in Clark County with leaving an 8-week-old puppy in a hot car for about an hour.

April Booth, 41, was charged Thursday with cruelty to companion animal in Clark County Municipal Court. The case was continued until next month, according to court records.

Clark County Dog Warden investigator Beth Hollingsworth began her investigation on June 8 when she was called to Sally’s Beauty Supply on North Bechtle Avenue in Springfield. There, she spoke with witnesses who said a puppy was left in a hot car.

MORE: Springfield crime: Home of dead Springfield woman broken into

“(A witness) stated that she and some co-workers were informed of a dog in a hot car,” the affidavit says.

The employees were able to get the dog out of the car using a cracked window, but Hollingsworth said she took the temperature reading and the car was 132 degrees in the backseat.

“(The witness) stated that they had removed the dog from the back seat of the car after noticing the dog for over 20 minutes in the vehicle,” an affidavit says. “She stated that the puppy was panting heavily and after taking her out of the car and bringing her into the store she had been given a bowl of water which she drank the entire bowl.”

The puppy, a gray pit mix named Skye, was taken to the Clark County Dog Shelter, the affidavit said. Booth contacted the shelter to get her dog back and told authorities she was only gone for about 20 minutes, the affidavit says.

EXTRA: Springfield pregnant woman shot in the head: What we know now

However, law enforcement was able to collect surveillance video of the parking lot that showed she had left the parking space at around 2:50 p.m. and did not return to the car until about 4:12 p.m., the affidavit says.

Hollingsworth said Skye didn’t appear to suffer long-term effects from the incident.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Jimmy Carter: What to know about the former president and humanitarian

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 4:52 PM

What You Need to Know about Jimmy Carter

President Jimmy Carter served as the 39th president of the United States, from 1977 to 1981, but before that, he was the 76th governor of Georgia and a member of the Georgia State Senate. 

>> Read more trending news 

Although he’s had a lengthy career in politics, Carter has  worked as a diplomat and humanitarian. He’s also authored dozens of books.

Here are some things to know about President Carter.

Naval Academy graduate

Carter graduated from the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, at the top of his class in 1946. He started a Navy career soon after, spending five years on submarine duty.

Related: Photos: Jimmy Carter through the years

Father of four

Carter married Rosalynn Smith, who became Rosalynn Carter, in 1946, soon after graduating from high school. They had four children: Jack Carter, born in 1947; James Carter, born in 1950; Donnel Carter, born in 1952; and Amy Carter, born in 1967.

Photos: Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter's 70-year marriage

Rebuilt family’s peanut warehouse

In his hometown of Plains, Georgia, Carter’s parents, Earl and Lillian Carter, owned a peanut farm, warehouse and store. When Earl Carter died of cancer in 1953, Carter resigned from the Navy, came back home and worked to rebuild the business. Despite a drought in 1954 and a boycott against integration, Carter made the business profitable by 1959.

Related: How Jimmy Carter changed the world

Devoted to humanitarianism

The Carter Center opened in 1986, and its mission, in partnership with Emory University in Atlanta, is to resolve conflicts and improve human health through a commitment to human rights. Part of that work led Carter to be honored with the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002.

Cancer survivor

Carter was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in August 2015. While teaching Sunday school at Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains, he said he had surgery on a mass on his liver and had radiation treatment on four melanoma spots in his brain.

Despite the diagnosis, Carter remained active in his humanitarian work, helping build a Habitat for Humanity house in Memphis, Tennessee. 

Related: Carter: Cancer is gone

By December 2015, Carter said, “My most recent MRI brain scan did not reveal any signs of the original cancer spots nor any new ones.”

In May 2016, Carter Center director of communications Deanna Congileo confirmed that Carter did not need any more treatments but would “continue scans and resume treatment if necessary.” 

Trending - Most Read Stories