Sidney police sergeant shot last week remains hospitalized in Dayton

SIDNEY — A Sidney police sergeant who was shot while trying to capture a man with a warrant for his arrest remains hospitalized in Dayton.

>>Bond set at $1 million for man accused of shooting Sidney police officer

Sidney police Sgt. Tim Kennedy continues to receive treatment at Miami Valley Hospital and is listed in fair condition as of Monday morning, a hospital spokesperson told News Center 7.

>>PREVIOUS REPORT: Sidney police sergeant shot; Suspect arrested, charged after standoff

Kennedy, a member of the Sidney Police Department since 2007, has been hospitalized in Dayton since the shooting Oct. 6. Kennedy suffered two gunshot wounds, one to his abdomen and a second to his lower leg, Sidney Police Chief William Balling previously told News Center 7.

Kennedy is expected to be hospitalized for several days, and underwent a lengthy surgical procedure after the shooting, Balling said in the previous statement.

Brandon Steele, 34, is accused of firing the shots that hit Kennedy. Steele was able to initially elude capture after the shooting, which sparked an hours-long manhunt in the city of Sidney. Steele was later located at a Sidney house and arrested after a SWAT standoff Thursday afternoon, after over 16 hours on the run.

>>Sidney City Schools cancel Thursday homecoming parade amid search for shooting suspect

The incident started as a warrant service in the 700 block of Lynn Street around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. Officers were attempting to serve an outstanding warrant for Steele’s arrest when he ran from officers.

During the chase, a Sidney officer went to use a Taser on Steele, when Steele turned around and fired a gun at the officer. The officer returned fire, but Steele was able to run into a wood line. No one was hit during this exchange of gunfire, Balling said.

>>Man accused of shooting state trooper near Findlay taken into custody

Later, Steele came out of the wooded area and fired the shots that hit Kennedy, Balling said.

Steele is scheduled to make a court appearance Wednesday on charges stemming from the initial warrant for his arrest. Steele was indicted on June 2020 on multiple counts of pandering obscenity involving a minor and will face an arraignment hearing in Shelby County court Wednesday.

Steele was arraigned Friday on charges of felonious assault for the shooting incident and has been held in the Shelby County Jail on a $1 million bond. He will be in court for a preliminary hearing for charges in the shooting Oct. 18.

We’ll continue to update this story as we learn more.