No official charges filed against suspect in Kettering pursuit, Harrison Twp. standoff

The man police said tied up law enforcement for hours Tuesday when he prompted a pursuit and then a standoff is in jail.

  • Mark Edward Slate Jr. has been booked into jail on preliminary charges
  • Police said he rammed a Kettering police cruiser in Kettering early Tuesday
  • The collision prompted a slow-speed pursuit that ended in Harrison Twp.
  • In Harrison Twp., police said, he went into a house and refused for hours to come out

UPDATE @ 8:09 p.m.: The man police arrested to end the hours-long standoff on Oneida Avenue in Harrison Twp. is 35-year-old Mark Edward Slate Jr. -- not Mark Slaten as previously reported, according to Kettering City Jail online records.

Slate is being detained, pending the filing of formal charges, on preliminary counts of felony receiving stolen property, felony eluding a police officer after ignoring the order or signal of a police officer, and obstructing official business.

He also is being detained on a felony warrant from another jurisdiction, according to the online records.

Slate is accused of ramming a Kettering police cruiser after the officer had responded to a report of a theft at a residence on Annabelle Drive in Kettering about 5 a.m. When the officer tried to stop a car suspected of being involved in the theft, the car rammed the cruiser.

The ramming led to a pursuit that had police chasing the car on I-75 North. The officer whose cruiser was rammed was not injured and he was able to pursue the suspect’s car, Kettering police Lt. Bradley Lambert said. A dog tracked Slate to the Oneida Avenue address, where police secured a search warrant and called in the Kettering Regional SWAT team.

>>PHOTOS: Standoff  in Harrison Twp. follows pursuit from Kettering

Police identified a woman in the vehicle with Slate as Aleah N. Moore, 32. Whether police will pursue charges against Moore has not been made clear.

During the standoff, a woman presumed to be Moore crawled out of the house just before noon. She was taken away in an ambulance.

Slate surrendered about 3:30 p.m. to end the standoff.

But moments before he gave up, the tactical unit removed parts of the roof and attic of the house to get him to come out. The also fired several canisters of tear gas into the house during the standoff.

Police were still working to determine whether Slate owns or rents the house on Oneida, or whether Moore owns or rents the house.

Neighbors on Oneida Avenue were stunned about all the excitement involving police and a tactical team.

“I don’t know why they run from them,” one neighbor, Danny Williams, told News Center 7’s Mike Campbell. “In my day people didn’t do that. They pulled you over, you pulled over.”

Darlene Dennis, another neighborhood resident, said, “It’s really crazy. I’m glad no one got hurt.”

We will continue to update this developing report as we learn more. Stay with for breaking news.

If you have a news tip, call our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or send it to

Comments on this article