At least three football games involving area high school teams scheduled for Friday have been cancelled due to COVID-19 protocols.
Springfield had been scheduled to travel to Fairfield Friday however that game was cancelled due to COVID-19 issues, Fairfield Athletic Director Aaron Blankenship said in a social media message Thursday morning.
A Springfield schools spokesperson deferred comment on the cancellation to Fairfield schools.
Troy’s varsity game against Xenia was also cancelled due to positive COVID-19 tests and quarantines on Troy’s team, a district spokesperson said Thursday afternoon.
The freshman and junior varsity games between the two schools, scheduled for Thursday and Saturday will be played, the spokesperson said.
“While we are saddened to lose any game on our schedule, we will always put the safety of our student-athletes first,” David Palmer, Troy High School Director of Athletics said in a media release. “We will do everything we can to get our team healthy and move on with the rest of our season.”
The Troy vs. Xenia game will be declared a no contest and will not count towards the records for either team.
School officials will make a determination next week on the Troy vs. Piqua game, scheduled for Sept. 3.
Dayton Public Schools announced in a social media message Friday’s Belmont and Chaminade Julienne game was also cancelled, citing COVID-19 issues.
Three Belmont players tested positive and are now quarantining, district Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli said in a statement.
Belmont will also postpone practices for 10 days due to the positive tests, Lolli said.
“Due to mitigation measures in place, such as social distancing, masking and frequent handwashing, other players do not need to quarantine and can continue to attend school. However, these players are encouraged to monitor their health and contact their doctor if symptoms of COVID-19 arise,” Lolli said.
West Carrollton’s varsity football game against Piqua has also been cancelled due to a mandatory quarantine for West Carrollton’s team, the school confirmed.
“A number of players are now being quarantined after having been exposed to an individual who tested positive for COVID,” Dr. Andrea Townsend, West Carrollton Superintendent, wrote on the district’s website.
The junior varsity game scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 28 has also been cancelled.
We’ll update this story as we learn more.
©2021 Cox Media Group