DAYTON — UPDATE @ 8:20 a.m.:
A standoff spanning around five hours has ended with the wanted suspect in police custody, according to investigators.
The suspect, previously identified by officers as Thomas Ross, 39, surrendered to officers after talking with negotiators, police said.
The children who were inside the house during the standoff were not injured and are safe.
Additional details were not immediately available.
A man with an active warrant for his arrest has barricaded himself inside a Dayton house and is involved in a standoff with police early Thursday morning, according to investigators.
The SWAT standoff has shut down a portion of East Third Street between South Westview and Sperling avenues since the investigation began around 2:30 a.m.
The suspect, who was identified by police as Thomas Ross, 39, was wanted by police for assaulting a man with a pipe and a warrant was filed for his arrest within the last 24 hours, Dayton police Maj. Christopher Malson told News Center 7. Additionally, police were called to the house this morning on a report of a possible kidnapping, however the suspected victim left before police got on scene, Malson said.
Inside the home are Ross’ girlfriend and four children, aged between 8 and 14 years old, Malson said. They are not being held hostage, but are staying inside the house on their own free will, Malson said.
SWAT units were requested after police received information that Ross was armed inside. Police and hostage negotiators have been in sporadic contact with Ross since the standoff began, Malson said.
People who live near the home were given the option to either shelter in place or evacuate, Malson said.
© 2021 Cox Media Group