UPDATE: 3-year-old girl allegedly shaken by babysitter was found with bruises on her head and face

Published: Monday, March 12, 2018 @ 9:57 AM

UPDATE: 3-year-old girl allegedly shaken by babysitter was found with bruises on her head and face

UPDATE @ 11:17 A.M.

Bond was set at $30,000 today for a Hanover Twp. woman charged with felonious assault and felony child endangering for allegedly shaking a toddler. 

Lindsay Partin, 35, of the 4000 block of Shank Road, was video arraigned this morning in Butler County Area II Court, where the cash bond was set by Magistrate William McNally. 

FATHER SPEAKS: ‘She is not expected to survive’

911 call in alleged babysitter assault incident: ‘Hannah breathe. Breathe for daddy’

Partin has hired attorneys Melynda Cook Howard and Christopher Pagan to represent her. At the brief arraignment, Cook Howard entered not guilty pleas on Partin’s behalf and told the magistrate that she has no previous criminal background. 

At about 7 a.m. Thursday, Hanover Township emergency crews and Butler County detectives responded to Partin’s residence for an unconscious child. They found 3-year-old Hannah Wesche unresponsive with labored breathing, according to the sheriff’s office. There were obvious bruises about her head and face. 

Hannah was transported to Fort Hamilton Hospital and then flown to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital with life-threatening injuries. After further investigation, detectives and hospital personnel noted additional bruising on the child’s body. Partin admitted to striking the child and stated she had fallen and struck her head on the concrete garage floor the previous day.

MORE POPULAR STORIES: Why this local school employee trained in CCW as the school security debate continues 

According to court documents, Partin admitted to shaking the child. 

“This little girl is hanging on by a thread. Cases like this rip your heart out. I don’t understand why or how anyone harms a child,” said Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones. “We do not know if the child will survive her injuries at this time. Parents please know who is watching your children. Get background checks, talk to neighbors, friends and family members before letting anyone watch your children, know who you are leaving your babies with.” 

The child’s father, Jason Wesche spoke at the hearing and asked that no bond be set.

Partin’s next court appearance is scheduled for Thursday.

UPDATE @ 9:57 A.M.

A Hanover Twp. woman allegedly admitted to Butler County Sheriff’s detectives that she shook a toddler she was caring for on Thursday, according to court documents. 

Lindsay Partin, 35, of the 4000 block of Shank Road, was booked into the county jail on Friday, charged with felony child endanger and felonious assault.

MORE POPULAR STORIES: How one huge Middletown drug bust could have eased Butler County’s overdose crisis

She is scheduled to be arraigned today in county Area II Court. 

Partin caused serious physical harm to the 3-year-old girl by shaking her, according to the complaint filed by Detective Dan Turner. 

The charges came from Turner’s investigation and Partin’s admission, according to court documents.


A woman accused of abusing a three-year-old she was babysitting is in Butler County Jail on charges of felonious assault and endangering children.

Lindsay Partin, 35, was booked into jail Friday afternoon.

>> Man accused of dousing toddler, woman in lighter fluid

The child, three-year-old Hannah Wesche, was taken to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center on Thursday after she had been at Partin’s house, who was babysitting, according to our partners at WCPO.

Partin had been a trusted neighbor and had cared for Wesche for several months, her aunt, Megan Latham, told WCPO.

Latham said her niece is essentially “brain dead.”

“I think she fought the best that she could which is all we can ask,” she said. “I think God just has a better plan for her, and I know she is in a better place and she is not suffering.”

Partin is expected to be arraigned this morning.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Wright State trustees fire former provost who was on paid leave for 3 years

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 7:27 PM

WSU provost fired

Wright State University’s board of trustees voted to fire its former provost who has been on paid leave in a faculty position for more than three years.

Six of the board’s nine members voted this evening to fire Sundaram Narayanan effective June 30. Three board members were absent from the closed-door meeting Wednesday when trustees met with Narayanan and his attorney Ted Copetas.

“At the end of the day, Dr. Narayanan was a decision-maker at the highest levels of the university at a time that resulted in millions of dollars in losses and the board feels there needs to be accountability from our administrators … and I think in the end that’s what it came down to,” board chairman Doug Fecher said after the vote.

» TRENDING: Bill’s Donut Shop to close for renovations

Following the private meeting, trustees returned to public session and voted to accept president Cheryl Schrader’s recommendation to terminate Narayanan’s employment.

Narayanan was placed on paid leave in May 2015 when a federal investigation was launched possible violation of immigration laws at WSU.

There was nothing “happy or satisfying” about the decision trustees made Wednesday, Fecher said. Fecher said he hopes that the decision helps the university move on from the visa scandal.

How WSU trustees voted on Narayanan’s termination

Doug Fecher: Yes

Bruce Langos: Yes

Bill Montgomery: Yes

Stephanie Green: Yes

Grace Ramos: Yes

Anuj Goyal: Yes

Michael Bridges: Absent

C.D. Moore: Absent

Sean Fitzpatrick: Absent

“This was not easy. There’s nothing to be happy about,” Fecher said. “This was hopefully the end of a very long and difficult chapter in the university’s history and I’m hoping we can all begin to put this behind us and move on and learn what lessons need to be learned and put the university on the path to the success that it deserves.”

After Narayanan and Copetas met with trustees behind closed doors, the former provost declined to comment on the then-pending decision. But, before trustees voted to fire Narayanan, Copetas said he thought the meeting “went very well.”

Copetas said on Thursday that he and Narayanan would ask the faculty union to take the case to arbitration.

“If the university thought it had grounds to fire Dr. Narayanan from his faculty position, why didn’t it do so three years ago? The answer, is that it didn’t have grounds to then, and it didn’t have grounds to (Wednesday),” Copetas said via email. “In the end, (Wednesday’s) vote was merely about giving the board someone to blame.”

» RELATED: Wright State pilot program saves students thousands on textbooks

Narayanan was one of four university administrators initially suspended in May 2015 because of the federal probe, which a Dayton Daily News investigation revealed was related to the university’s use of H-1B temporary work visas to secure employees for an area IT staffing firm.

University researcher Phani Kidambi, who was also suspended since May 2015 because of the federal probe, resigned from the university in August, records show.

The two others were university chief general counsel Gwen Mattison and senior advisor to the provost Ryan Fendley. Mattison was forced to retire in August 2015 with a $301,331 separation payment.

Sundaram Narayanan, former provost at Wright State University. CONTRIBUTED(Staff Writer)

Fendley was fired in August 2015, but then filed two lawsuits against the university. A breach of contract suit was settled with Wright State Applied Research Corporation paying him $13,209. A wrongful termination lawsuit filed by Fendley in the Ohio Court of Claims was decided in Wright State’s favor in September.

Copetas has not said whether he and Narayanan would file a lawsuit if the university terminated the former provost.

“We’ll have to evaluate our options after the board of trustees makes that decision,” Copetas told ;this news organization last week.

While Fecher said he hopes another lawsuit isn’t in the university’s future, he said Wright State’s leaders would handle one if it’s filed.

“That’s always a possibility,” Fecher said. “We’ll handle that if it comes. But, I don’t know that you can let that type of thing affect the kinds of decisions that you feel need to be made.”


• Area security firm files $50K lawsuit against Wilberforce University

• PHOTOS: Luxury Washington Twp. home with pool on sale for $614K

• UD, Premier say former fairgrounds may not be fully redeveloped for decades

• Ohio public university presidents fight for more funding at Statehouse


The Dayton Daily News is committed to bringing you independent, in-depth local stories. Help support our journalism by signing up for a print or digital subscription.

Trending - Most Read Stories

U.S. 35 west shut down in Xenia after crash involving semi

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 1:37 PM
Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 2:16 PM

UPDATE @ 2:15 p.m.:

All westbound lanes of U.S. 35 are shut down west of U.S. 42 in Xenia following a crash involving a semi, according to the Xenia Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol. 

TRENDING: Rumpke garbage truck crashes into Xenia nursing home, injuring driver

Dispatchers said traffic is being routed off U.S. 35 to U.S. 42. 

We’ll update this page as new details become available. 


A semitrailer is reported to have crashed along U.S. 35 West and come to rest over a guardrail, near the highway split with the Xenia business district. 

The accident was reported just after 1 p.m. 

There is word from police and the Greene County Sheriff's Office that the highway is being at least partially shut down because of the accident. 

We have a crew on the way. We will update this developing report. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com  

Trending - Most Read Stories

LATEST: Rumpke trash truck pulled from Xenia nursing home it rammed

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 9:00 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 2:22 PM

Trash truck strikes nursing home in Xenia

UPDATE @ 2:15 p.m.: The Rumpke trash truck has been pulled from the building it crashed into this morning. 

The office the Rumpke trash truck hit was the home administrator's office, Greene County Administrator Brandon Huddleson said. The nursing home administrator was in the front of the building and was not injured. 

"We've had some of these issues before [a car hit the treasurer's office on Main Street some time ago]... I wasn't expecting to see a trash truck actually inside our building," he said. 

This is the damage done to the Greenwood Manor Nursing Home in Xenia when a Rumpke trash truck crashed into it Thursday morning. (Marshall Gorby/Staff)

Huddleson said, "by the grace of God, the folks that were in those offices were out in the field or out in other places in the building." 

He noted it's hard to imagine that anyone who would have been in the building could have escaped. 

There are about 50 residents in the building, but the entire wing where the truck hit is all administrative/maintenance offices.

There was some ancillary flooding in the damaged portion of the building, because of the sprinkler system that activated. Otherwise, he said, it's business as usual at the nursing home.

UPDATE @ 12:45 p.m.: 

A building support will have to be installed at the Greenwood Manor nursing home before the Rumpke trash truck lodged inside a wing of offices can be pulled out, Greene County building inspectors said.

No employees were in the wing when the truck crashed into the home, 711 Dayton Xenia Road, about 8:45 a.m. 

PHOTOS: Garbage truck crashes into Xenia nursing home

A Rumpke official said the company and police are continuing to investigate the incident. 

TRENDING: Centerville High School student charged with sexual imposition

The trash truck driver was taken to Greene Memorial Hospital, where he was to be treated for non-life threatening injuries, Xenia police said. 

TRENDING: Woman killed in double shooting identified; police arrest man on murder charge

Marshall Gorby/Staff


A trash truck has crashed into a nursing home on Dayton Xenia Road in Xenia Thursday morning. 

Fire crews were initially dispatched to the Greenwood Manor,  711 Dayton Xenia Road, around 8:45 a.m. on reports of a fire alarm from the building. 

Marshall Gorby/Staff

While crews were still responding, dispatchers said a trash truck had crashed into the building. 

Initial reports indicate one person was injured in the crash and the wing where the crash occurred has been evacuated. 

Additional details were not available. 

We have a crew on the way and we’ll update this page as we learn more. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Warrant had been issued for man jailed in double shooting that has left 1 dead

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 1:19 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 1:05 PM

Shooting on Norman Avenue in Dayton

UPDATE @ 12:08 p.m.: Willie James Henry Jr., in custody stemming from the double shooting that has left one dead and one wounded, was being sought on an arrest warrant, according to Montgomery County Common Pleas Court records.  

The warrant, for a probation violation, reportedly was issued May 22.

Henry pleaded guilty to robbery in a 2015 case and ultimately was given community control for up to five years. He was wanted because his whereabouts “have been unknown since March 1, 2018.”  

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Stabbing victim, 79, still recovering, no suspect in custody

Henry had been found to have violated his probation previously but was not given additional sanctions by Common Pleas Judge Steven Dankof.

In November 2016, Henry’s supervision was dropped from intensive to basic because he had made “positive strides in working toward the completion of his sanctions of supervision,” according to court documents.  

UPDATE @ 8:25 a.m.:

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office has identified the victim of a fatal shooting on East Norman Avenue as Barbara A. Goubeaux, 41, of Dayton. 

A man arrested at the same address of a fatal double shooting in Dayton has been booked into jail on a preliminary charge of murder and felonious assault, jail records indicate. 

Willie James Henry Jr., 43, was arrested around 5:30 a.m., according to jail records. 

>> TRENDING: Storm Center 7’s Kirstie Zontini flies with U.S. Navy Blue Angels

Police said a woman was pronounced dead at the scene while a man was taken to a hospital suffering from life-threatening injuries. 

We’ll update this page as new details become available. 

Willie James Henry Jr. (Contributed Photo/Montgomery County Jail)


One person has died and another is at a hospital with life-threatening injuries after a shooting on Norman Avenue early Thursday.

Officials said the two victims, described as a male and female in their 40s, were found suffering from gunshot wounds in the 30 block of Norman Avenue around 1:15 a.m.

The female victim was pronounced dead on scene, while the male was transported to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries.

A suspect is in custody and detectives are questioning that person, according to police. 

A neighbor who called 911 reported the male victim was shot first. The female victim went inside and the neighbor heard an additional shot.

The neighbor said the suspect was sitting on the porch with a gun. Police confirmed the suspect had been walking around the area with a gun. The suspect, who has not been identified, was taken into custody without incident.

The incident remains under investigation. 

Trending - Most Read Stories