COLUMBUS — Gov. Mike DeWine has confirmed plans for continuing to deliver the coronavirus vaccine to Ohioans, based on age, in ranges of five years.
It began at 80 years old and above, then went to 75, and down to 65 where it remains today.
“The next big move is going to occur when we move from 65 down to 60 and then down to 55,” DeWine said at his briefing Monday.
Here’s the catch.
DeWine hasn’t said yet when the next group will be approved for the vaccine. It could be well into March before it happens.
“We don’t know. It’s a matter of weeks,” DeWine said.
He declined to estimate how long it would be before 60 year-olds could get the vaccine. The move is designed to allow a greater percentage of the 65 and older crowd to get the vaccine before any changes are move. DeWine declined to identify how many people of the 65 plus group would have to get the vaccine before any changes would be made.
DeWine also made the following announcements:
- He urged vaccine providers to get back on schedule with night or weekend vaccination clinics to make up for lost time after shipments were delayed last week because of bad weather.
- DeWine sent a letter to every nursing home in the state spelling out allowable visitations under current federal rules. They are permitted if the nursing home resident is in decline as a result of other restrictions. Such “compassionate care” visits are permitted in specific circumstances, according to DeWine.
- Baseball teams such as the Reds, Indians and presumably the Dayton Dragons will be allowed to have fans in the stands for games this summer at about 30 percent of capacity. Mask wearing by fans will be enforced. A formal announcement is expected later in the week.