log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, August 15, 2019 @ 10:08 AM
Updated: Thursday, August 15, 2019 @ 3:30 PM
By: Breaking News Staff, Josh Sweigart, Bonnie Meibers, Will Garbe, Cornelius Frolik, Katie Wedell, Lawrence Budd
MONTGOMERY COUNTY — Preliminary autopsy results determined that Dayton police gunfire did not cause any of the fatal injuries in the Oregon District shooting, said Montgomery County Coroner Kent Harshbarger.
One of the nine victims killed was shot by police, but had already suffered lethal injuries from the gunman.
Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl said he was relieved that gunfire by police did cause any fatalities.
Chief Biehl says he’s relieved that no shots fired by his officers caused fatal injuries. pic.twitter.com/DvYsiMyqJa— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) August 15, 2019
He also acknowledged that in chaotic situations, it can be difficult to determine when to respond with deadly force.
“There is a danger in shooting and a danger in not shooting,” Biehl said.
Another in the shooting did have a superficial wound from police.
Biehl said that officers provided first aid to victims as soon as the gunman was neutralized.
MOntgomery county coroner says the person that died that was hit by a dayton officer’s bullet had already been struck by a lethal round from Connor betts weapon. He decline to identify which of the 9 victims that was involved. pic.twitter.com/mJYxPqO8jz— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) August 15, 2019
The coroner added that he does not believe that earlier medical treatment for any of the nine victims would have saved lives.
The gunman was shot by 24 to 26 bullets and received multiple injuries to the side and area above the body armor, said Harshberger.
He also said that the gunman had a pipe and baggie with cocaine on him.