Battery-operated skateboard causes dormitory fire at University of Cincinnati

UPDATE @ 12:35 a.m.:

A malfunctioning battery-operated skateboard caused a fire in Calhoun Hall at approximately 10:15 p.m. on Monday.

Damage was estimated at $20,000.

“Fortunately the sprinkler system was keeping the fire in check and most of the damage was from the water,” District Fire Chief Louis Arnold said.

Forty-four firefighters responded to the 12-story dorm after the initial call.

>> 18-year-old, wanted for murder in Houston, Texas, is arrested in Butler County


A fire on the fifth floor of a University of Cincinnati dormitory on Tuesday night prompted an evacuation but resulted in no injuries, UC officials said in a statement published online.

The fire in Calhoun Hall was reported about 10:30 p.m. It was out about six minutes later, UC Public Safety officials reported.

Residents affected were to be given alternative housing.

At midnight, university officials were readmitting residents, UC Public Safety officials were reporting online.

The 12-story, co-ed hall houses approximately 680 students and has a classroom, kitchenettes and lounges on every floor.

We will update this developing report as warranted.

If you have a news tip, call our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or send it to

Comments on this article