Father and fiancée plead guilty in Takoda Collins murder case

DAYTON — The two remaining people charged in connection to the homicide death of 10-year-old Takoda Collins pleaded guilty to charges during separate hearings Wednesday afternoon.

Al McLean, 32, pleaded guilty to charges of murder, kidnapping, rape and child endangering during a plea hearing Wednesday afternoon in front of Judge Dennis Adkins.

McLean’s plea came hours after his fiancée Amanda Hinze also pleaded guilty to charges of manslaughter and child endangering.

>> I-Team: Lack of communication may have led to system failure in Takoda Collins’ death

Hinze and McLean were both charged with multiple felonies in the case. A third suspect, Jennifer Ebert, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and other charges on May 27, 2020.

McLean faces 40-51 years to life in prison as part of his plea agreement and Hinze will face a mandatory prison term of between nine months and 30 years.

McLean also waived his right to appeal his conviction and must register as a Tier 3 sex offender when he is released from prison. He also would be included in the violent offender registry for 10 years after he gets out of prison.

Dayton police and medics responded to a Kensington Drive home on Dec. 13, 2019 after McLean reported that his 10-year-old son, Takoda Collins, was unresponsive.

PREVIOUS REPORT: Grand guy indicts father of Takoda Collins on murder charges

Collins was taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The child had bruises and cuts all over his body, according to court documents.

“Takoda was kept in a dirty, locked, dark attic and abused daily over the course of several years,” read an affidavit and statement of facts. “The interviews also revealed that Takoda was held underwater and gasping for breath prior to succumbing to his injuries.”

>> Takoda Collins homicide: Investigating agencies did not share information, Prosecutor Heck says

Sentencing in the case is set for Sept. 29.

Comments on this article