Dayton officer resigns after making controversial social media post about dead man

DAYTON — A Dayton police officer resigned Thursday after making a controversial Facebook post earlier this month about a dead man, according to a department spokesperson.

PREVIOUS REPORT: Dayton officer’s Facebook comment about crime victim prompts outrage

Officer Timothy Liddy submitted his resignation Thursday just before he was scheduled to be interviewed as a part of an internal investigation into a Facebook post made about Kwasi Casey, according to police.

Liddy said “personal health reasons” led to his resignation, according to personnel records.

RELATED: Pastors protest Dayton officer’s social media post about dead man

In the post, Liddy said “Karma finally got Kwasi” in reference to the news that Casey’s remains were identified as those found in a burned garage in September.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Bones found in Dayton burned garage identified as missing man

“Karma finally got Kwasi! When you live the life he did and are a career criminal it comes back to get them. We’ve seen it too many times for many years!,” Liddy said in the comment posted earlier this month.

RELATED: Family seeks answers about Dayton man involved in kidnapping case

A screenshot of Liddy’s post went viral and was shared by several community members.

Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl met with members of Casey’s family Monday and apologized to the family members for Liddy’s post.

The family was also notified today of Liddy’s resignation, according to the police spokeswoman.

Dayton police described their investigation as a homicide investigation, however Casey’s death has not been officially determined by the Montgomery County Coroner.

Casey was first reported as missing July 7 after police received a report of a suspicious person near Hilary Avenue and Eleanor Avenue. During the investigation, officers determined it appeared that Casey had been kidnapped.

A detective was called to investigate, the Dayton homicide squad responded and the police department said it asked the FBI for assistance.

The department said the investigation led to “several persons of interest” interviewed about Casey’s disappearance and two were arrested on unrelated charges.

On Sept. 26, police were called to investigate human remains reported inside a Dayton garage on Fountain Avenue that had burned to the ground earlier that month in a fire considered to be suspicious. The remains were identified Oct. 12 as Casey by the Montgomery County Coroner's Office.